Raindrop fell off, can this be repaired

Hi all, I was polishing the little drops when one fell off. Can this be repaired or is it not enough space to solder it back on? Thanks so much.

4 Likes

Yes. Absolutely. It will require removing the stones, and the original patina will be lost, but this is definitely reparable.

2 Likes

Oh my, that’s a shame. I may just leave it the way it is then. Thanks so much for the detailed answer. I would have been disappointed to get it back all shiny. Thanks again :smiley:

4 Likes

This can be repaired with DC TIG spot welding. I’m experimenting with low amperage on gold for antique jewelry where stones cannot be removed. Heat only affects the small area being welded. Welding sterling requires higher amperage but it is being done successfully without stone removal. I will check with my repair people to see if they are welding sterling or know someone that does.

5 Likes

uh,there are glues available…I’ve used e6000 :wink:

3 Likes

Good suggestion! I hadn’t thought about laser welding (old school silversmith). It’s quite effective, and one can definitely laser weld sterling or coin silver. Fell in love with the process at a seminar at Rio Grande, but just couldn’t justify spending 25K on a laser welder. It would absolutely work for this!

4 Likes

I just looked that up and saw some pretty cool videos. That’s some pretty interesting stuff. Thanks so much :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks :grin: I thought about that but I was afraid I’d lose the little drop if it fell off while wearing it.

2 Likes

Laser is another option. I remember now, Kevin Lindsey of Lindsey Jewelers did a symposium on DC TIG welding. One of the advantages is that the weld pool extends deeper where laser is more surface weld. Kevin has a state of the art Miller TIG. My budget allowed for an Everlast 205 which will go low enough in amperage to weld gold on 125v. Sterling requires about 100 amps and 240v. I think he might be a good option. When I contacted him I did not ask about repairs.

3 Likes

There’s an outfit called “Fast Fix” jewelry repair in most shopping malls. Most of the locations have access to a laser welder, and can do this type of repair easily.

3 Likes

Thanks :grinning: I will look into it. Malls are dwindling theses days but I may have an option after hearing some of the suggestions.

1 Like

I would first check with @Jason at Perry Null. They might also have the capability.

3 Likes

Thanks so much, will do :grin:

1 Like

I would never recommend Fast Fix. Their skills vary tremendously from store to store. Perry Null Trading will do a fabulous authentic job.

4 Likes

Would definitely recommend Perry Null for expert repair work. The traditional method would be to remove the stones, prep and clean the work area on the shank, and shot, securely silver solder the shot back into place, reset the stones, and refinish. However, if the goal is to preserve as much of the the original patina as possible, laser welding or possibly micro arc welding would allow the shot to be reattached with minimal heat transfer to the surrounding area. Regardless of the method used, an expert skill set is required, and it is always advisable to call first and make sure that both the required expertise and equipment are available. If one goes with the traditional repair method, a really expert finisher can restore the aged look of patina, but it will not be exactly the look of the natural patina as it exists now.

4 Likes

I agree with Michael. A few years ago, I had a local jeweler solder on a post on the back of a buckle. I was concerned about losing patina. He said not to worry, it would be attached using a laser. When I picked up the buckle, it had the exact same patina as it did before the work was done.

5 Likes

You might try something like this, cold soldering.

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-14600-Bonding-Compound-Tubes/dp/B0007WLB04/ref=asc_df_B0007WLB04/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312128326273&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13926147649945764918&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1022538&hvtargid=pla-493698609583&th=1

2 Likes

Thanks, Jason. Much appreciated, I will definitely into that too :smiley: I know it’s possible now with all the suggestions I’ve been given. Thanks so much again for all of your ideas :grin:

1 Like

Would advise you not to reattach the shot with an epoxy type adhesive if you plan on wearing the bracelet, as the flexion will stress the attachment point, break the bond, and dislodge tthe shot causing it to fall off again - usually at the most inconvenient time. Likewise would recommend against using a low temp solder like Stay-brite or Tix. Silver solder or micro welding (laser or micro arc) are all viable methods to permanently reattach.

Good luck with the repair, and please don’t hesitate to contact me with technical questions. I’m happy to help out where I can.

4 Likes

Thank you so much :smiley: I would definitely like a fix that gives my the option to wear it if I want to. I think a jeweler downtown has a laser, I will check with them and see if they do. Thanks so again, I really appreciate all of your help and knowledge :grin:

2 Likes