Ram and turquoise bolo

I just bought this from a woman who is downsizing her massive Native American jewelry collection. I only have her pictures to use but the one of the back looks like it might have a pictograph hallmark. I’m hoping someone will recognize it. My other questions are any ideas about the origin of the turquoise, and it the rams head was individually made or bought and applied. It seems pretty detailed from the pictures. Thanks for your help. I need to add a higher resolution picture or two.

8 Likes

cs

1 Like

Thanks Steve. Now I have to decide if it’s a dog head or a chick. I appreciate your skills. :blush:

Very cool, I’d wear that!!! Nice find!!!

1 Like

Thanks. It was supposed to be for my Dad but it’s about 4” long (definitely over his size preference) so it will probably be hanging around my neck. It was just too cool to pass up. Hoping I can find out some more about it.

This is the closest that I’ve found so far and I’m definitely not sure.

Not the same hallmark, but the same cast ram’s head: Link

Great looking bolo, @Islandmomma!

2 Likes

Thank for finding that, TAH. I was searching the old posts, cause I was feeling like I had seen a ram’s head like Islandmomma’s on here, but obvs was using the wrong search words.

I love bighorn sheep, so that’s pretty cool, Islandmomma!

All I can see in that blown up pic of the hallmark is a tadpole… or a pliers…:crazy_face: (We have a curved handled pliers)

2 Likes

That may have been the cuff I posted a long time ago. The ram head was much smaller and not as detailed. It’s in the appraisal section and starts with Massive rams head cuff.

1 Like

Thanks. I guess that solves the question of manufactured vs hand cast. I think it’s still going to be a great bolo. You’ll probably see me from a half mile down the road. Lol

2 Likes

I can’t pull that one up on here. I don’t think I saw that your cuff, but I definitely remember the one that TAH posted.

I believe it’s this cuff…

3 Likes

Yes sir. I knew it was still here somewhere because it came up when I started posting the bolo. Turquoise is totally different but I’ll probably wear them together anyhow. Thanks for finding it.

1 Like

Another cousin to your bighorn:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/265618899973?hash=item3dd81ec405:g:L9IAAOSwxutiQlTr

1 Like

Ooh are you getting that belt also?

1 Like

No but her stuff usually sells immediately. I think it’s sold.

Thought you might like the one we have, not as cool as yours or silver.

4 Likes

That’s cool. I like the turquoise going all the way around. If you have a chance will you please take a look at the cuff I posted? It’s in identifying category. Thanks

@Jason, do you mind telling us how this one was cast?

2 Likes

While we wait for @Jason, I’m going to guess similar to bronze sculpture using the lost-wax process.

2 Likes