Ramona Laloma rings: What do you think?

Hi Everyone, I’ve acquired several pieces since my last post that I’d like to get your thoughts on. I’ll put them in different posts so I don’t get the pics and comments mixed up. I got two very different Ramona Laloma rings. One has a turquoise cab with her traditional florals, leaves and vines on the sterling mounting (if I’ve incorrectly described her typical adornments, please correct me, I want to learn). What are your thoughts on the kind of turquoise? There’s a lot of brown matrix which, under a loupe, appears to have some tiny metallic-like specks in it. I’ve been reading a lot of your posts so now I’ve got new ideas of what it might be: Chinese? Persian? Or when in doubt, assume Kingman? (-; The other ring has a Hopi design, which I haven’t seen as much of in work of hers that I’ve researched as the floral silver work. Generally what are your thoughts on the Hopi design ring? Just a design or any meaning to it? Worth keeping in a collection? Any additional value associated with it because of her relationship to Charles Loloma? Thanks for sharing your knowledge, experience & time!

3 Likes

The style of pieces are not Hopi. I find a Ramona Garcia that might be your artist. Hopi is overlay, this ring is kind of the opposite Both are very good looking pieces. I am leaning Chinese.

Wow Jason! Thanks for your knowledge and expertise. I thought I’d done my research on Ramona Loloma and these rings. I found several similar rings all attributed to R. Laloma on eBay, Etsy and another site online (see the pics attached) but now I’ve learned that my “research” was deceiving! How can there be so many of these misleading fakes and no one calls them out?! … Especially considering the asking price for the rings in the pics I attached. I feel more than a bit foolish and bamboozled! It’s a lesson I’m learning the hard way but glad I now have a group that can help me navigate the questionable pieces. I don’t live in the Southwest like many of the turquoise & Native American jewelry fans on this site so I depend on getting my fix online. I’m going to have to improve my research sources and any advice from forum members will be much appreciated!

2 Likes

This is really confusing when I look her up. She seems to be legit, but I don’t know if all these things are hers? Looks like we had a thread on here relating to her a long time ago. I will try to link it.

I don’t live out west either, but have been very lucky to travel a lot and learn while I was out there. I also have a wonderful Native American Art Museum a couple hours from me. I would recommend you be very careful about buying on Etsy or ebay at this point. There are so many great reputable stores that sell online. I would suggest using their websites, at least until you feel like you know more. I have a great guide book to Southwestern trading posts that I use pretty exclusively to know where to shop when I travel.

Edit: I see what’s confusing; I googled her too.

1 Like

This is an education for me as well.

3 Likes

Here is a link to another thread.Question About Stones and Repairs

A ring attributed to her is in the discussion.

2 Likes

Thanks Ziacat, I knew I had seen some additional info on her as an artist and sister to Charles Loloma, I just couldn’t remember where I saw it. It was on this forum! The exact info you provided the link to! I agree it’s very confusing but I trust Jason’s knowledge and experience and that of other forum members like yourself who know a lot more about these artists and their work than I do. Thanks for all you help and sharing what you know.

2 Likes

this cuff was also attributed to Ramona with the butterfly stamp

source: https://mudheadgallery.com/hopi-bracelets-turquoise-silver-overlay-ramona-loloma-poleyma-7/

same gallery also sold this ring in the past

source: https://mudheadgallery.com/ring-navajo-9-5-multi-stone-coral-lapis-turquoise-raised-inlay-ramona-loloma-poleyma-sold/

another style

source: http://art-amerindien.fr/pages-bijoux-navajo/collier-hopi-ramona-loloma-poleyma.htm

3 Likes

Thanks Steve … and the plot thickens (-:

2 Likes

I think what happens is we get a site that includes a hallmark that might possibly be something the artist didn’t use. In Schaaf’s book he list she signed her name which goes with the inlay ring (plus a little Loloma style). The ring and the buckle in the picture we think of Loloma and it makes sense.

1 Like