Rattlesnake form Blackware pottery

This pot was given to my mom from her brother in the late seventies. Her brother said the pot was about 20 years old at that time so I guess it puts at about 40s, 50s? and said it came from Chihuahua, Chihuahua. Unfortunately there is a hairline crack across the rattlesnake’s nose😞 I wonder if it can be repaired. I looked around for info on the signature but no luck. My favorite part of the pot is how the artist painted the abstract rattle area. Pot is oval at the top and perfectly round at the bottom. Measures approx 7" tall, by 8 x 7" wide. Thanks!

6 Likes

Very cool pot. There appears to be a hallmark on the bottom but I’m not familiar with pottery. My focus has been jewelry and some fetishes. However, I’m sure there are other members who will know.

1 Like

There are facebook groups dedicated to Mata Ortiz pottery, which is i believe is what this is (the rounded bottom is the giveaway to me), who can probably easily ID that hallmark, and talk to you about stabilizing any damage. great pot!

5 Likes

I will ask the Facebook groups. Thanks.

1 Like

I was told by his daughter on Facebook, this was made by Chev Ortiz. From what I’ve researched, made in Juan Mata Ortiz (originally called Pearson when it was founded in the 19th century ) a town in the Mexican state of Chihuahua.
Will see what else can be found. Fun :blush:

Edit- maker’s daughter say the pot was made in the 90s. Mom agrees that’s more likely.

3 Likes

This is a beautiful pot. The design captures the attention. Love everything about it,

3 Likes

More bits of Facebook info-
Eduardo “Chevo” Ortiz

2 Likes