Ray Manley Book with Charles Loloma's signature

Scored on a Ray Manley reference book at a thrift store! I was going to buy it anyway but when I opened the cover it had a note that said it had been signed on page 76 by Charles Loloma in 1995. Sure enough it was signed on that page! :exploding_head:

18 Likes

@AC
Wow! What a lucky find!!

3 Likes

Woohoo! Awesome thrift store find!!

3 Likes

Great find @AC! I love to find signed books. Books are often the most passed over things in shops.

3 Likes

Jeff, I say sell it and retire. :grin:

5 Likes

Lol…that and my house maybe!!

3 Likes

May not be a bad idea @TAH. Things tend to run in cycles and for a short time, what we call “a flash in the pan”. While his items are hot now, who knows 10 years from now. You may get an outstanding price right now if the signature is not that important to you. The bonus is that you can buy jewelry with the money you make. Might be worth it to check with a couple auction houses for pre-sale estimates.

4 Likes

This is one wonderful lagniappe–congrats! :clap: :clap:

Autograph market is funny. Some famous people sign everything for anyone and hence are way less collectible than you could imagine, while some rarely sign. The prominence of the signer is therefore only one factor on value. I know this from experience.

6 Likes

While I have no idea what his autograph is worth, I’m quite sure that Loloma’s legacy will endure. He’s definitely more than a “flash in a pan.” Great find, @AC !

4 Likes

Yeah…more accurately, “The most influential Native American artist of the twentieth century” (Marti Struever book copy and often repeated). And in all major museum collections of top-tier NA jewelry, including the Met.

4 Likes

Great find- great discovery!!! Congratulations!

4 Likes

How cool is that! Congratulations on your stellar find!

2 Likes