Really dark turquoise

We have a really great Native American and Western Art museum called the Eiteljorg in Indianapolis. Every summer they hold a Native American Art Market with over 90 vendors. In the past they also used to have someone from a store in Gallup bring pawn jewelry to sell inside the museum’s gift shop during the market; they don’t do that part anymore.

Anyway, I bought this ring there years ago, and I’ve always loved the turquoise. As you can see on the pawn ticket, it says Nevada turquoise, but I wondered if anyone had any idea what mine possibly this could have come from.

It was hard to picture the stone exactly, but the photos show the color pretty well. It appears to have a little green that’s almost grass colored in one corner, some dark brown in another corner along with what looks like a little bit of pyrite.

Thanks for looking!

5 Likes

Cool stone. I might have guessed Bisbee, which of course is AZ, not Nevada.

2 Likes

Well you are certainly in the right spot since Perry Null bought out Turpen. Pretty ring. I’m

2 Likes

I know right?! Funny thing is I have another ring with a dark stone that is just a bit similar (got it at the same museum), but the receipt says Turquoise Mountain turquoise, so wrong state again. Here’s that one.

3 Likes

I thought I had read that somewhere on this site. Then I looked at the pawn ticket; small world sometimes!

1 Like

Wow, we haven’t used those tickets in a very long time. This must have been sitting in the sellers inventory. The only think that comes to mind this dark and style of matrix and Nevada is Blue Diamond.

7 Likes

I prob bought it in the late 90’s. I have about 5 items I purchased the same way at the art market over a few years time. I thought the tickets all had the same store on them, but only two were from Turpen’s. The others all said Butler’s of Gallup.

You know, that was the only turquoise I could find that reminded me of my ring, but I have so little knowledge. And even though I can’t know for sure, it’s really interesting! Thank you so much Jason! And I know the setting is very simple, but I absolutely love the stone.

1 Like