Red Coral Necklace

In about 2003, I bid on a 60 strand, coral bead necklace. The seller said there were 60, 26" strands, which were shown in the photo. The coral was the full length of necklace, up to clasp. There were some sterling end cones and a vintage, 1950’s to 60’s style clasp. Reminded me of vintage, Navajo. It was sold as vintage, natural, red coral.
I won the Ebay auction for $75.00.
Then was told by seller he had broken the necklace up into six, 9" necklaces. He would send me some extras to compensate for the inconvenience.
The extras were two jewelry loops. I was not amused and reported him.
I was planning on using the coral for jewelry making.

Here is what I received. I have worn this some. Never took it apart. Originally the longer beads were colored red. The red dye wore off. They appear to be bone. The round, red beads towards the top are ceramic. The silver beads are sterling.

Would appreciate any comments on this. Does it appear to be natural, red coral? What would an estimated value be?
Thank you
IMG_8460a
IMG_8463a
IMG_8465a

We need some better images, these don’t let us get detail of the material.

Will try to take more tomorrow.

Here are some more photos. The beads that look like bone passed the hot needle test. The black paint on them is beginning to chip off.

The necklace is a little dusty/dirty overall.

IMG_8475|690x369

I know that this and the cheep plastic loops are no where near worth what I paid for them.
Just wondering if I was taken further in that these are not really natural, red coral beads, but made from some other material. They are not plastic. I did chip one off. The red color is throughout the bead. Do not appear to be glass. Under magnification, I can see some traditional coral characteristics.

Would appreciate any thoughts, good or bad. Thanks.

Thanks for the better pictures. That is not coral, I couldn’t find an exact match but something along these lines https://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/h202389pb

I lean toward African trade beads - i have seen some older seed beads have this irregular look to them.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. My testing has resulted in the following:
They are not glass, ceramic or plastic based resin.
They have veins of sorts running the length. At least the one I broke off and examined via magnification did.
In 2003, was there the advanced resin that is common today? The type that does not melt or smell like resin?
I have some similar beads, purchased from Thunderbird Supply in 1986. They were sold as natural, red coral beads.
Thanks

1 Like