Reyna Platero Secatero Bolo and Buckle with McGuiness Turquoise

I recently bought this set for my Dad for Father’s Day and would like to find out more about it. I have researched this woman before and found it hard to find comps because she started working in the 70’s. This was attributed to a different artist even though Reyna’s initials are on both pieces. They arrived yesterday and when I unpacked them I was very pleasantly surprised by the weight. They are substantial with the buckle weighing 120g and the bolo weighing 149g. I did find information about the turquoise and think these are pretty high quality. I think these are from the 70’s time frame. The seller is the same I got my nugget cuff from. She is selling off a collection of her parents (quality) jewelry.
I’m interested in hearing your thoughts about the pieces, the quality of the turquoise and of course the value. They are marked $900 for the set. I paid a good bit less but would like to know their real value. I am going to try and upload one more picture with higher resolution.

Thank you for your help.

7 Likes

I think they are great. I was thinking it was Stormy Mountain Turquoise, not all of it has that signature chert. Then I saw the McGinnis Turquoise, nice to have that with the piece. You would see this for at least the $900 if you came across it in a gallery. If you hadn’t given the 1970s date I would have thought maybe a little newer, 80s.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I went back and looked at the screenshot and it says that the were bought together in 1975 in Arizona so that moves it a little closer to your thought of the 80’s. I was at Daddy’s today to drop off some things and couldn’t keep my mouth shut. I’m pretty sure that he will be wearing the bolo long before Father’s Day. I’ll buy a card in June. :rofl:
Neither of us wear belts often so I’m going to wear the buckle as a pendant with a converter that Freddy Platero makes.

2 Likes

This is great. Nice set and so nice to share with your dad! I don’t think I’ve seen McGinnis turquoise before. We’re hoping to head over to Austin NV next week…maybe I’ll be able to pick up a cab or two to add to my collection. Jason’s Art Gallery (Little Bluebird mine) has cabs and specimens from the local area, along with other mines. Now that we’re moving out of CA to Nevada, I’m looking forward to emerging myself in turquoise :grinning:.

2 Likes

ya know,this is the only month when I can almost understand why anybody would want to visit,let alone stay,in a desert or jungle.

dunno how much snow we got yesterday cuz there was such a blasting north wind, it was bare or drifts.

2 Likes

I’m so jealous lol! But I do love my home state of Indiana. Maybe I’ll have to be a snowbird someday… I’ll go to Phoenix and live by my best friend! But then I’d most assuredly spend way too much money.

1 Like

Beautiful pieces. I am partial to shadowbox. Yes it is fun to share; that’s how I got started was getting a buckle from my dad, and you’re giving a buckle to your dad!

You know, I’m glad you mentioned that about wearing the buckle as a pendant. As I had posted on another thread, I permanently converted a buckle to a pendant (I wasn’t really ever going to wear it as a buckle), but I have another buckle that I don’t really wear which I think I could just put on a leather cord. Thanks for the idea!

1 Like

@Islandmomma I’d be interested in seeing what the Freddie Platero belt buckle convert-to-pendant thingy looks like. I found this belt buckle (same place as the copper pendant) that has the same pilot mountain turquoise as a bracelet I found this summer. They would pair so nicely as a pendant & bracelet. Thx so much!

Here’s the back to see if it’s doable:

4 Likes

That is a beautiful buckle! I screenshot the bail converter from his FB page so you could see the different sizes. Then I took a picture of the buckle part attached to one of my buckles. They also come in different sizes and this buckle is slightly smaller than the one I bought it for. I got the bail converter first because it is so good for wearing an older pendant with a tiny bail. I have this thing about Italian chains on a decent size NA pendant. Now I need to either go get some tiny rubber tubing from the hardware store or see if rubber earring stops will work. I would like some cushioning on the belt hook if the buckle got hit by accident. I don’t want to permanently convert my buckles because I have three sons and six grandsons. There is plenty of other things for the girls. :hugs:

1 Like

sorry,none of my business,etc. but…why is gender involved? Please,don’t feel obliged to answer,ok? I simply find it difficult to understand & that’s WAY me-lol

like,a couple of years ago,neighbors were outside w/their kid…dressed literally head-to-toe in various pinks-bows,flowers,kittens,etc.
“uh,is that all it wears?”
“she’s a GIRL!”
uh,ok but she’s not even two-isn’t that bordering on creepy?
“well,I’ll find her some black leather,w/studs,as a dilution”

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I have absolutely no idea why I phrased it that way! More than 90% of my wardrobe consists of items bought in the mens department. I believe I own 3 dresses and they are so old that I’m not sure they even fit. My favorite shirts are heavy chamois shirts that belonged to my late uncle. This year I actually stood in Costco and googled how to convert my size womens jeans to mens sizing because they had some Weatherproof lined pants that I really liked. I now own two pair. I also like real fabrics—-cotton, wool etc. All these decades and the tomboy hasn’t worn off. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Maybe a little saccharine, not creepy. If that’s what they like, fine for them.

1 Like

what I saw was labeling…advertising?..a barely able to walk (barely human?-lol) kid as a female.
who needs to know…who cares?

uh,no “boy” gets credit or blame,whatever his name…lol
YOU found what suits you

I’m obviously from a different generation and I am definitely not politically correct. There used to be two genders in this world. I personally don’t care how anyone else dresses. And I will continue to wear what suits me. I don’t understand why this is such a big deal to you. I know this sounds pretty rude but I wish you would explain your thoughts so that I understand. Thanks

3 Likes

I was praising you for doing your thing. or was trying to,anyway…sorry for my clumsy attempt.

I still growl when I realize I don’t know the name of a power tool,let alone how to use it correctly,because that was a “guy thing”. “girls” got home-ec & note-hand,no shop classes.

I did tease some folks in-line at JoAnns fabric a while back…“they let MEN in here? did you need a special exemption?”

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl: thanks! I have always followed my own path. Of course back then you had to help with whatever came along. I learned to sew, can vegetables, make pickles and pepper relish with an antique grinder that bolted to the table. Please note that no one had a/c and it was hot as hades.
I also learned to pick azalea cuttings when I was about 5, dug worms and fished in the pond, went squirrel hunting and skinned them out for my aunt to cook. (If you killed it you ate it). Painted wood preservative on the lumber for the greenhouses because there wasn’t treated lumber back them. And to end this crazy post, to this day my favorite smells are cottonseed meal, gun oil, WD-40, fresh plowed dirt and fragrant flowers, especially Gardenias because they were planted across the front of my aunts porch and when it was hot that was the place to be.
I also have worked as a service writer in the car dealership, done landscaping and worked on the plumbing crew with my husband, his brother and several other guys.
I went to a school that didn’t offer home economics so I got lucky. :blush:

2 Likes

Back to topic. Thank you @Islandmomma for the info! Appreciate all the details!

2 Likes