Scrimshaw bracelet

Could this bracelet be Native American? The signature on the scrimshaw plaque is J. But there appears to be another signature on the edge of the band. There also is an unusual texture to the back of the scrimshaw piece. Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated as always.it was purchased around 1975 and is sterling.

1 Like

Highly doubtful, nothing about it relates to NA work.

I think people underestimate just how much amateur, solo artisan, and imported low-end pieces are in circulation now from decades ago that incidentally share construction ideas with authentic NA jewelry.

I was certainly questioning it. It resembled other pieces that are claiming to be Native American. But everyone claims their pieces to be Native American these days. I know nothing about scrimshaw so I thought I would ask. The style seemed a bit off as well. But the bracelet itself seems well made even if the armadillo is a bit wonky.

Here’s a company offering a product like this, especially with the same bezel treatment, stating that the carving is by their in-house artists.

Of course, there are things advertised as being scrimshaw that really aren’t, and are just carvings made out of cow bone or other common material.

1 Like

I thought it was a snapping turtle :woozy_face::rofl:

2 Likes

hmm, maybe a snapping turtle? :joy::flushed:

1 Like

Ok, so you have confused me. I am now going to google what exactly scrimshaw is.

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t mean to confuse you! Scrimshaw is now a catchall phrase, but it originated as as a specific cultural activity among whaling and seafaring people, using special rare/fossilized/regulated materials.

thank you! As I previously stated my knowledge of scrimshaw is extremely limited (I know nothing) so I am easily confused. BTW after looking more closely I am sad to say I think the plaque mat actually be plastic :cry:. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, us newbies need a little help.

1 Like

Sea turtle? Armadillo?

Scrimshaw can be reproduced pretty easily in plastic. Not saying that’s necessarily what you have as it appears generally well made, but the picture and open back make me question it. Could’ve been a custom piece for someone but I lean towards more costume-y.

1 Like

I think you may be right. I took a hot needle to it and sure enough it appears to be plastic. I am usually better at noticing plastic vs. ivory or bone. The scrimshaw is what was throwing me off. Don’t know why I did not immediately check to see if it was plastic. I have many ivory bracelets. I usually check stuff I buy from sales but since this was given to me I guess I just assumed that it was real .

1 Like

He definitely looks like a happy creature! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I work at a charity thrift shop and recently sold a bolo tie made from plastic “scrimshaw”. It was bought in 1979-80 when the donor (a retired professor of public health) was on sabbatical in the Albuquerque/Santa Fe/Taos area. It was not signed but was of similar artisanship.

1 Like