Silver Beads and “turquoise” necklace— any comments welcome

IMG_2319

Hello! Thank you for any input as to what I may have acquired. :hibiscus: The silver beads feel heavy. The necklace seems to have a vintage-y feel to it, but the “turquoise” beads are so shiny that I thought they could be plastic, yet they are different sizes and have a greenish-ness inside. Thanks for your comments.

It’s an interesting piece, but I’m pretty sure it is not Native made.
That looks like reconstituted block turquoise.
The black swirls are a dead giveaway.

The green between the beads is probably gunk from someone wearing it. It will probably clean off with soap and water.

5 Likes

I agree with @Stracci. This looks like a necklace that has probably been put together with craft store beads and stones. The greenishness between the stones looks to me as though it may have been dyed and this is some of the buildup from the dye. Not Native American. That catch is not common in Native jewelry; again, a common craft store closure along with the plastic wire it is strung on.

It’s a cute necklace and certainly very wearable, but is probably not especially valuable!

4 Likes

Thank you Stracci and XTina.
I agree completely.
I was drawn in by a local auction with few photos.
I will chalk this up to the cost of an education- no more impulse purchases for unknown items.
Someday I hope to purchase real turquoise jewelry and support the native arts community.
Thanks again and best wishes.
-Tangled

3 Likes

@Tangled it is certainly not a bad necklace, and the main point is that if you like it and enjoy wearing it, then it was worthwhile! I would only take issue with having been led to believe it was something else and paying that kind of price for it, only to find out that it was not. Buying online is tricky, but for many of us, that is about the only way we can get the kind of pieces that we want, so I would suggest that you buy only from vendors that will allow returns, or people who specialize in Native American jewelry and know their stuff.

I’m right there with you; I certainly have lots of “learning curve” pieces in my jewelry box as well, and I doubt that any of us can say that we would never fall for a good copy!

2 Likes

The heishi looks to be block, but I’m going to guess that the pendant stone might be Kingman. But I’m probably way off; it very well may be something dyed, like Magnesite.

1 Like