Silver (?) concho belt?

I bought this concho belt at an estate sale. The family said it came from their grandmother’s collection. They didn’t know how old it might be. No turquoise (that’s a shame). What did I buy?

1 Like

Welcome Mike. That’s a good question. We’re curious too. Can you upload some photos of the front and back and any hallmarks or stamps?

5 Likes

no marks that I can find. tested with magnet, not magnetic. Checked with google images and it was close match to dancing disk belt.

I was waiting to find the spot where I uploaded the photos, but I didn’t spot it the first time out. Found it this time. Thanks for patience and any identification help.

2 Likes

Very pretty; does not look Native American to me. Has an Indian (country) feel to me. Or Bali??

4 Likes

I agree, did not feel NA to me either, but has a wonderful sound when it is around the waist and a person is swinging and dancing. Thank you

3 Likes

That’s a pretty belt. My guess is that it could be Mexican. The center dome in each “concho” and the way the belt’s constructed, with each concho pierced & then joined together by jump rings, leads me toward that thought. I’ve seen Mexican bracelets constructed in that way. Of course, I may be totally incorrect about this.

5 Likes

Can’t help you on the origin, but I do like the belt. It has a great look to it. :+1:

2 Likes

Not Native American or Mexican.

I think Indian (@Ziacat), Pakistani, etc.
Maybe even Turkey, Morocco/North Africa.

6 Likes

That’s where i was going, too, Stracci. It’s giving me African vibes, or maybe even from one of the 'Stans.

Here’s something i found from a google image search (discs not made in France, just the barrette fastener) Unique & Retro Made in France Large Etched Silver Conch Style Hair Clip, Barrette 4 by 1.75, Lightweight , Southwestern - Etsy

Another similar “Turkoman” item Turkman Ottoman Empire Style Pendants kuchi Jewellery Whole sale from Afghan

These almost identical that someone is calling Native American, but they aren’t https://www.depop.com/products/katefoster22-unique-eye-catching-native-american-earrings/

And another from Morocco with a similar medallion https://www.etsy.com/listing/1557841785/vintage-1960s-hand-made-moroccan-leather?gpla=1&gao=1&

5 Likes

Agreed. Wow, the barrette’s surface is such a close match, and of course the only “France” part of it is the clasp mechanism.

1 Like

how long is this belt?

1 Like

42 1/2 inches long. Appreciate all the comments and thoughts. Would be great as a jingly jangly belt for pow wow or for belly dancer