Small silver turquoise(?) pendant

I AM CURIOUS ABOUT THIS SMALL PENDANT (ABOUT THE SIZE OF A U.S. NICKEL I BOUGHT 15-20 YEARS AGO, BEFORE I DISCOVERED TURGUOISE PEOPLE.
THE FEATHERS ON THE DESIGN ARE SIMILAR TO NA , THE BACK OF THE PENDENT, NOT SURE WHAT TO CALL IT “COILED SILVER” IS SOMETHING I HAVEN’T SEEN BEFORE.DOES THIS MEAN IT IS NOT NATIVE AMERICAN.
THANK YOU.

I FOUND THIS DESIGN ONLINE LAST NIGHT THAT IS SIMILAR, BUT BIGGER OF COURSE THAN MINE.

This pendant doesn’t really jump out to me as Native American. Generally the work on the front is built onto a solid back rather than a piece of coiled wire. And the stones are set into bezels rather than prongs which is more of a european or “fine” jewelry choice. And the leaves are not naturalist looking but again, designed along the lines of fine jewelry.

1 Like

Agree with MAlberg, this is not Native.

1 Like

Looks like costume jewelry. And as others note it’s not Native American.

Thank you. While I believed the seller at the time, from what I have learned through this site I was seriously doubting the authenticity of this piece. Perhaps the man misremembered where he got it.
Or perhaps they just spun a "story " as some people do. Something learned is never wasted.

MAlberg your technical information was very instructive and I appreciate it.
The coil wire on the back really bothered me when I was looking at this piece yesterday.
Perhaps the seller misremembered where he got it. And then sometimes people like to a story with a sale. It was not expensive and thanks to all of you, the piece bought me a valuable lesson. Money well spent.

I don’t think it’s NA. Looks like 60s or 70’s costume jewelry (my cousins had something very similar!). It has some value, but I think a lot of people misidentify turquoise–any aqua colored or turquoise piece–as NA. Likely not intentional, and I had to learn this also. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you. Good observation. I have seen people identifying jewelry by color, as you said. A turquoise colored piece of jewelry becomes “Turquoise pendant”. I still like the little pendant, but will not keep it with my NA pieces. You pointed out your cousins had similar piece back in the 60s /70s and that does much the time period I was told the seller said they purchased it.

1 Like