Some more i inherited

Any info on this it isn’t marked

Amy Quandelacy Weslay (Zuni) makes that style. Best I can do.

Sherman Pacquin (Zuni). Active since 1970s. Channel inlay. Sherman Pacquin shares the stamp with his wife Isabelle
Pacquin. Mark: S. & I. P.

1 Like

Lovely items. It’s the well-known hummingbird design originally by Ellen Quandelacy (Zuni). Her son Dickie and his wife Amy did it as well. Some of it is hallmarked, some isn’t. The turquoise is Blue Gem in the good stuff. I have a great pin in this design.

The Quandelacy production, compared to other makers or imitators, stands out by its high-quality turquoise that is adeptly cut and fitted in the channels, with no fill showing, and good proportion of open space to solid.

Because of the flash I can’t really judge the look and surface condition of the turquoise. It appears more matte than polished Blue Gem normally would be. Were these pieces dipped to clean the silver, by any chance? Something like that would impact the stones.

6 Likes

1 Like

Help me out, I have always had trouble seeing a hummingbird in this design. Is it abstract in the curves? It is a beautiful design. Also, @Piglet’s appear to be cut out. Is that always the case? I thought some of them were black inlay.

2 Likes

I don’t understand (or see) the hummingbird thing either. If I have to guess, maybe an imitation of hummingbird wings in motion, that rotary movement?

Definitely always cut out in the Quandelacy style.

5 Likes

Thanks, I feel a little better :laughing:
I think I never noticed the cut outs! But I’ve only seen pictures.

3 Likes

Perhaps some peyote would help to see hummingbirds. :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

@StevesTrail :joy::smile::yum::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: !!!
I don’t see hummers either…!

Maybe it’s two birds spinning in a circular vortex, their beaks toward the center?

2 Likes

You mean like the proverbial gee-gee bird @Stracci . Let’s see if anyone can make that connection. :grin:

Its real shiny i know she never cleaned nothing she kept it rapped in klenex

just a “btw”…

transatlantic folks assumed hummingbirds didn’t have legs,cuz when they were being shipped as “curiosities” (a big thing for the money- guys to collect) nobody bothered to skin & preserve them correctly.

1 Like

Ugh. On another weird side note, did you know that praying mantises catch hummingbirds? That’s why I keep my hummingbird feeder well away from my flowers.

1 Like

If your decide to clean, use a polishing cloth but no liquid cleaners. Many collectors like them as is with no polishing.

1 Like

Yes and they eat them!!! Ick!

1 Like