Special request from my wife

3" x 1/2" barrette in western scrollwork.

18 Likes

Stunning! :star_struck: :star_struck: Congrats to you both. Anything you care to share about the design challenges, etc., please do. Will it be a total one off?

1 Like

Love that engraving, especially how the design escapes to the frame.

2 Likes

Thanks Chicfarmer & KHMetalwork! Not a one off. It’s actually a bracelet design that developed from a rifle floor plate design I did several years ago. The tiny repousse center star is only 11mm in diameter, and I’m rusty at repousse work, so that was a bit challenging,

I’ll post an image of the floor plate drawing tomorrow.

5 Likes

Fantastic work, Michael! I don’t recall ever seeing a custom Western engraved barrette.

You mentioned a rifle floor plate. Do you, or are you asked to, engrave firearms or custom knives often?

1 Like

Good morning, TAH, and thank you! All of my engraving so far has been jewelry related. The floorplate was strictly a design exercise for a class I took when I was moving from sketching scrollwork with physical pencil and paper, to Procreate, a digital pencil, pen, brush, and paper app which runs on iPad.

I do plan to do some firearm related work, and am currently working on a scrollwork design for a Springfield 1911 pistol. Posting the floorplate drawing below.

4 Likes

The scroll style in your drawing reminds me of the engraving on a few custom knives I owned in the past. Glad to see your drawing was eventually put to good use.

1 Like

As much as I love doing art for art’s sake, it just isn’t in me to let a good design sit around without earning its keep :slight_smile:

Would love to see some photos of those knives, TAH!

It’s beautiful, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Unfortunately, they have all been sold. I was into custom knives for 35 years and then got out of it. The engravers were Ron Skaggs, Steve Lindsay, and Julie Warenski. I only kept one knife by the late knifemaker, George Herron, but it isn’t engraved.

3 Likes

All are absolutely top notch and do or did truly amazing work. The George Herron knife is a beauty, and your photography is next level. You really have an eye.

1 Like

Thanks Michael! Appreciate your kind words.

1 Like

Very admirable craftsmanship.

1 Like

Gorgeous Barrette! I’m sure your wife is thrilled!
Becky

1 Like

This an amazingly beautiful thing! I have a special appreciation for fine hand work.

1 Like

Thank you, Sherri. I really love that design.