Squash Blossom Necklace assessment

Thoughts on this necklace? I’ve been asked to assess a rough value of this squash blossom necklace for my grandmother’s estate.
The necklace is approximately 20" long end to end, weighs 3oz total, and appears to have the hallmark of “BE” at first look, but it could be “DE”. The “weld line” around each bead is very sharp and not at all comfortable against skin and it is strung on standard jewelry wire. The turquoise is more green than blue. My initial impression is that it is a fake given the settings of the turquoise, but I’d like some input first. Thanks!

1 Like

Tough one. The turquoise reminds me of Kingman or Sleeping Beauty with pyrite. The Navajo pearl beads look like benchwork. Can you can a closer photo of the silver flowers? They appear to be hand made.
Are all silver items sterling?

Fernwood- Thank you for chiming in! Here are two closer pics- what looks like pyrite is actually just dark matrix I think…it has no sheen to it. Looking closer at the flowers, I agree that they do appear to be handmade as each one is slightly different. There are no markings indicating it is sterling silver, so I am not sure about that one.
As for the beads, I am puzzled as to why the artist didn’t smooth the weld line even slightly…the edges are very sharp and rough.

2 Likes

I think you have the real thing, a Navajo sqaush blossom. Not sure who the artist is, would put a value of something like $500 - $600 retail on the piece.

3 Likes

Any thoughts on date or era this might have been made? I’ve not seen this style of setting (I call it a crown setting) on any other squash blossom necklaces.

I don’t think of it being old, maybe 20 - 30 years?

1 Like