Squash Blossom, real or?

Local shop has this for sale at a decent price. I am interested in opinions on its age, hallmark id and type of turquoise. The necklace is not heavy.

Shop owner says it came from the southwest from her buyer. Any and all opinions are welcome. I have not bought it.

5 Likes

@here4turquoise That’s a beautiful squash blossom necklace! Looks like a classic shadow box design to me. I don’t know the type of turquoise, but others here may know. Maker’s mark - I can see the letter “K”, but what is the 2nd mark? Another letter?

4 Likes

@Patina I’m thinking it is a C or G. I cannot say for sure though.

1 Like

Makes me wonder that a necklace that size, with that many stones and all that silver isn’t heavy. It should have some weight to it.

3 Likes

@Khmetalwork Than was what I was thinking too and the reason for my hesitation in purchasing it. The naja is marked sterling.

1 Like

@here4turquoise Just trying to understand… I agree that a necklace this large & with this much silverwork should have some weight to it. The naja is stamped sterling - are you concerned that the other necklace components may be non-sterling (i.e., aluminum)? What’s the dealer saying about the metal purity?

2 Likes

@Patina That is my concern, non-sterling and possibly imitation turquoise rather than real.
I’m going back in a few minutes to speak with the owner if she is still open.

2 Likes

Here are some additional pics. The cones have some stamping on them. Does the naja look unfinished or altered on the back side bottom?

The owner was not in when I went in for more pics. I left a note to see if she had any further information.

3 Likes

The necklace looks “right”. Standard machine stamped, hand soldered beads. Perhaps a thinner gauge silver was used?

4 Likes

Thank you @StevesTrail. I appreciate your help.

1 Like

It seems like NA work to me. The clasp, the beads, the twist wire, the construction… everything looks authentic.
Is it strung on a chain? I can’t tell if it is, but that would be a great sign.

Can you tell us what the asking price is?

3 Likes

@Stracci Asking a bit under $500. I didn’t look to see if it was strung on a chain. Thanks for the reminder to look for that too. Thank you for your help.

3 Likes

In picture #3, pretty sure you can see the chain between beads.

1 Like

Yes! @Khmetalwork
I was just going to post this detail photo

That’s a great price, and maybe you could bargain down a bit more. If it’s a charity thrift maybe they won’t charge tax, either.

1 Like

It looks well made @here4turquoise and very attractive. If you can verify NA, turquoise, and sterling, the price is great especially when compared to those asking the earth and the moon. Being lighter means it would not feel like wearing an anchor around your neck. :grin:

4 Likes

Is the turquoise real? I would guess so, but :person_shrugging: Prob just stabilized.

1 Like

@Khmetalwork You must be young as your eyes work better than mine. Thank you!

@Stracci Thank you for the visual and price help. This is at a consignment shop and I believe it to be the owner’s item. Maybe she will dicker a little. :crossed_fingers:t3:

@StevesTrail The shop has been in business for decades and seem to have quality local items. I don’t shop there often but may have to make it a weekly routine. Speaking of anchors, while in the four corners in the spring, I had the chance to buy a mercury dime necklace. Tried it on and wasn’t sure I wanted to wear that weight around my neck.

@Ziacat What turquoise mine would you guess?

Thank you all for your input. I plan to make the purchase today. You all will be kept on the loop. Thanks again!

1 Like

I have no idea. Assuming it’s not block or composite. Maybe SB, but most turquoise seems to be Kingman. This all looks so exactly alike with little matrix.

2 Likes

Well my turquoise friends, I brought the squash home and under $500. They offered a cash discount! The weight is 113g. Thanks to everyone for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

BTW, the hallmark may be RG or RC.

4 Likes

Have so much fun wearing it!!

2 Likes