Squash Blossom set Ivan V

Another part of Estate sale items ,don’t know a lot about things but y’all are a big help.
All pieces of the set are marked Ivan V. wondering why necklace has Papa Johns on it also thinking maybe who it was made for ? Age, kind of turquoise, value if any, thanks for input !!

6 Likes

Ha, like the pizza chain? That’s definitely a new one for me. Sorry I’m not of any help but I’m interested to see if others have any ideas.

3 Likes

I won’t be much help either, but the turquoise is lovely. It’s all pretty, but I’m not as much of a squash fan so I’m drawn to the cuff.

So odd…Ivan and Papa Johns.

2 Likes

Beautiful set. The Papa Johns is intriguing.
I found a cuff bracelet by Ivan V for sale at $499.00.
Your set should have a great value.

2 Likes

I had a little more time this am and googled those names. I found several things by Ivan V; the cuff Fernwood mentioned, a really old looking stamped silver ring, and a pendant (I haven’t figured out how to do a link in here yet). The cuff and pendant were a similar style to your pieces.

But the only thing I found with Papa John (besides pizza haha) was a Native American flute CD for sale by a Papa John.

2 Likes

I wonder if the necklace was made for the Papa John flute player?

3 Likes

Ok …my response didn’t sound right

Not like a flute playing on the commercial But a flute player named Papa John

I’ll stop now :laughing:

2 Likes

If you guys don’t quit picking on my squash I will be forced to claim Papa John is really John Wayne. LOL

2 Likes

I think it’s beautiful! :heart:

1 Like

The Turquoise is amazing.

I wonder if the flute @TaraFawn75 found and your jewelry set was made for Papa John Phillips, songwriter and founding member of 1960s folk-pop group The Mamas & The Papas?

Many of the Hollywood, etc crowd collected and wore southwestern jewelry. I did find The Mamas & The Papas Facebook page. I’ve had a lot of luck finding people with knowledge on Facebook- maybe message the page owner and attach your photos?

Good luck with your search : )

1 Like

It’s not an actual flute, it’s a Native American flute CD by someone named Papa John. I Googled again and several CD’s came up. Darn it I don’t know how to do a link. But still don’t see how it ties to the Squash!

The Squash is lovely, I just like the cuff best!

2 Likes

Thanks for what you are doing , I’m sure it’s history will surface eventually . The lady i got it from is 70 plus said she inherited it from her mother but I don’t know how long ago that was and she knew no history beyond that. Have several more cuffs from estate sales that have not tried to research ,will show them to you in a couple days. Thanks

3 Likes

You are welcome! It’s fun to try to figure stuff out. That’s part of how I came to love Native American art. My dad bought a cool buckle back in 71 when we were on a trip west. I remember little about it because I was pretty young, but always remembered him wearing it everywhere. He died in 81, and my mom gave it to me. Dad had written verification of the artist, but that meant little to me when I got it, so I spent a lot of time researching and asking questions about it when I traveled out west years later. And now I am addicted!

1 Like

I think I saw this set on Ebay not long ago. I forwarded the listing to one of my gardening customers who was looking for a set for her new daughter in law. Small world!

Highly possible i bought it a week or two ago at an estate sale . the people I bought it from might have tried to sell . will research to see if i can find. thanks

1 Like

The turquoise is fantastic! It looks like it has little flecks of gold? Also, perhaps it’s the lighting or my monitor, but the setting almost looks more gold than silver. I haven’t researched this far, but just googled up the name and came up with the following thesis which might or might not involve the same artist, or someone named after “Ivan” Van Sertima? I really don’t know what I’m talking about here. Just exploring. But I did find another cuff bracelet on Etsy by Ivan V with an asking price of a little over $800,
[

Transcultural Transformation: African American and Native …

https://digitalcommons.unl.edu › cgi › viewcontent
](https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1016&context=englishdiss)

PDF

by BS Tracy · 2009 · Cited by 2 — Native Americans , African Americans, and Black Indians … include such works as Ivan Van Sertima‟s They came before Columbus in which he argues that

^Van Sertima was a famous and provocative British scholar and professor. Whatever his merits, he was entirely unrelated to the world of NA jewelry.

1 Like