Stones my father gave me…#8 and more

My father is the reason I love all things stone! He was a rock hound and living in Montana gave us many opportunities to hunt and collect and polish and cab and facet. What a great childhood :heart:.

Daddy was given the stone in this ring for him to cab by a good friend & fellow rock collector who went to the SW frequently during the 60’s and 70’s. They were both doing cabs at the time and had quite a discussion about the stone being from #8 mine. I remember thinking that all turquoise mines must be numbered :rofl:. I made the setting for the ring (yes, I know the bezel is a little cockeyed :face_with_diagonal_mouth:) after he died several years ago. It is not a pretty enough setting for the beautiful stone, but it means a lot to me.

I have a few other turquoise specimens that my father had, that I am not certain of the origins. Thought you all might like to take a look…

12 Likes

It’s gorgeous, and I love the setting. What a special story it has. When I first started collecting in the '90s I didn’t even know there were names for the different mines! I had inherited a couple beautiful pieces from my parents, but they didn’t know enough to find out mine information either.

1 Like

I’ll try to add the other photos in the replies… my WiFi is pitiful and I can only post one at a time.

Here’s a few rocks that look like they might be turquoise,but I’m not used to seeing it in this form? The one at the upper left is another slice of the same #8 as the cab in the ring.

3 Likes

A few more that I think may be turquoise…?

3 Likes

this will help you greatly.

change the setting on your phone or camera for smaller resolution

2 Likes

Thanks! Now I know :slight_smile:

1 Like

you’re welcome and also if you crop out some of the area that is not turquoise your wifi should fly

2 Likes

Maybe turquoise? Might have to cut into it to see, I suppose…two views

1 Like

One more… maybe this isn’t turquoise? It is almost like a crystal. Turquoise color, though

1 Like

BIG difference in size, was there a noticeable change in the upload time?

you can bring the resolution back up in increments so you have a good balance in size and speed. this will also preserve the details that get critical when trying to id a hallmark

2 Likes

I appreciate the tips, Steve! It did take less time, though I’m at a different location right now. I’ll have to mess around with resolution a bit!

Beautiful stuff. I’m not so good at telling whether the stones in the rough are turquoise. Fortunately my phone and wifi work without having to figure out the details…goes WHOOSH right over my head…

1 Like