Tab Necklace - Turquoise?

This necklace was gifted to me by my late mother-in-law. The spring ring closure is broken, and it’s missing a hook component on the other side. The rough tabs are more of a sea-foam green color, not really blue. This just doesn’t look like turquoise to me. The rectangular beads at the top look like abalone shell separated by tiny coral beads. I don’t think this is Native American made, but I don’t know that for a fact. No hallmarks. What do y’all think these tab stones are? I appreciate your help. Thank you!

1 Like

It’s pretty. Think I’d like to see the stone moisten with water.

Interesting with the abalone and coral. From just the pic I would have guessed turquoise, but I see why you’re not sure. Sorry, that’s not much help! Would like to see what Jason thinks about the stones.

1 Like

Could the stones be Chrysocolla?
They appear not to be polished, is this accurate?
Do you think the red beads are coral or glass?
Are the silver beads silver or plated? They appear really shiny for silver.

The necklace reminds me of some that were made in the 1970’s and 80’s.

Sorry for all the questions.

2 Likes

@fernwood I appreciate your questions. I don’t think the stones are Chrysocolla - their color is more a sea-foam green. The tabs are not polished. The tiny red beads look like natural coral to me. A magnet doesn’t stick to the silver bench beads - so I’m guessing they’re sterling silver. I think the shiny look is just from my lighting or how I took the photo (cellphone). The silver beads have a lot of patina on them. I think you’re spot-on about the time frame of the necklace. From what I recall, my MIL got this in the early 1970s.

2 Likes