Tadpole/turtle squash blossom necklace

Hello turquoise friends. May I share with you a squash blossom necklace. Twenty-five years ago, I was fortunate to find this in an antique store in a small town in New Mexico, where it had been for many years. I was on a solo Harley ride, needing a present for my wife to justify my passion for riding solo. Some questions:
1. I know tadpoles and turtles are strong totems in Navajo culture (tadpoles: transformation, adaptability, and the cyclical nature of life; turtles: longevity, tenacity, self-reliance; he assures rainfall–he is the oldest symbol of Mother Earth and carries our prayers to her). Do they ever occur together like this?

2. I believe this to be totally handmade, rather crude, every tadpole unique, beads irregular. But I would welcome your opinions on that point.

3. Finally, provenance. While I'm pretty sure it's Navajo, could it be Zuni? Here is the workmanship on the back:

and here is what looks like a hallmark:

Many thanks for all comments.
Kit

4 Likes

It’s really unusual, and I like it a lot.

So you’re thinking the oval pieces are tadpoles? It’s interesting, because to me the oval pieces look like they should be part of the silver tubular pieces that look like the bottoms of typical squash blossom flowers; like they kind of deconstructed the flower part. I don’t know if this is technically considered a squash blossom necklace since it doesn’t have a naja. Sometimes I’ve seen these called station necklaces.

1 Like

Don’t forget tasty @Kit :yum: :grin: Very nice necklace!

1 Like

Yes. Clearly there are squash blossoms on it. Perhaps its lack of a naja would place it an
an early development of the squash blossom? I don’t know. I found this on the internet:
The Naja shape was used to decorate the horse bridles of the Spanish, and over **
** time
was adopted as the centerpiece for the squash blossom necklace.
If this is true, would the lack of a naja also argue for its age?

1 Like

I don’t believe that necessarily has anything to do with its age. I’ve seen more recent squash type necklaces with something the place of a naja. I would just guess that this was the way they chose to make it, with a turtle. I have no clue on the age of it.

And I can’t tell what that mark is; doesn’t really look like a hallmark. It could be a trader’s code. I can’t tell if it’s letters or what.

Hopefully someone else who can tell better about age will jump in.

2 Likes

Thanks. If I blow the pic of the “hallmark” up, it looks like “P U,” but it’s not real clear.

1 Like

Hi Kit, your necklace was made many decades after the early squash blossom necklaces. It has quite the charm to it! Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Does anyone besides me see the oval turquoise pieces as tadpoles with tails?

1 Like

@Kit I sort of see very stylized fish. The flat tails, with etched lines, add to this imagery for me :woman_shrugging:.

1 Like

Sorry I just see ovals. I’m not really sure why they would have tadpoles with a turtle, seems like they would have made it a frog… But who knows! I can possibly see little fishes.

Overall it still looks like separated blossoms to me for some reason.

1 Like

BTW, has your wife caught on to the whole Harley riding turquoise jewelry gift thing yet? I’d be okay with that :laughing:

1 Like

Uh…I think she likes it. She now has 12 gorgeous Amerindian necklaces. :blush:

3 Likes

Anyone think the “R U” on the back of the turtle might be Robert Ulibarri with a messed up bottom half of his hallmark?

1 Like

Honestly, i see hot air balloons.

also, i’ve never seen heishe used like this in an otherwise all-silver necklace. It makes me think the ovals and turtle started life on a different necklace, and were married to this strand later of beads. Also, I can’t say i’ve ever seen the flowers pierced in the middle like that, where the 2nd strand of bench beads is threaded THROUGH the blossom. it’s an odd one, all the way around.

2 Likes

So…did I hear something about Harley jewelry? This is a fabulous one of a kind sterling &14K turquoise Harley pendant on a great chain made by Jon, my jeweler. He’s Anglo, but in the past worked with NA jewelers and does amazing repairs. If I rode, it would be mine. But if anyone is interested message me and I’ll give you his information:

2 Likes