TAH- I believe you to be the resident belt buckle expert can you take a peek?

Hello! Can you tell me what your observations are regarding my buckle? I think the stone is very pretty, although it feels loose.

5 Likes

Hello Tara,

Thank you for the compliment, but I am certainly no expert. My only “expertise” is knowing what I like and what I don’t like. :grin: Your buckle falls into my “like” category! :slightly_smiling_face:

Unfortunately, I can’t help you on the type of turquoise, but your buckle is sandcast and Navajo made. I have learned it is difficult to accurately date sandcast buckles because molds/designs are passed down to immediate family and extended relatives. Many designs are reproduced over and over dating to different decades. The features that make them unique are the additions of stones, stamp work, and silver embellishments.

For example, I did a quick Google search and found three buckles that match your buckle’s design. One is plain, made by William Begay, and described as being purchased “used in 1969”. The second has a stone and silver accoutrements and was made by Henry Morgan. The third has a stone and no hallmark.

In the end, for me, it all comes down to the overall look of the buckle, which is the reason I love your buckle with its traditional design, beautiful stone, plain fold-over bezel, and dark patina. Very nice piece! :+1:

3 Likes

Very nice stone! I don’t know the mine. Not quite #8, but very beautiful!

1 Like

I would call this natural turquoise mountain

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Natural-Turquoise-Mountain-Cab-Cabochon-High-Grade-Spider-Web-Cabochon-/221578601117

5 Likes

I was looking back through old posts for fun and saw this one. I have a cuff with a stone that looks a lot like yours. The artist I bought it from bought the stone directly from the mine. My stone is natural Kingman turquoise (which I believe Turquoise Mountain is same area?). Thought you might like to see it since it looks so much like yours.

The stone is not that dark; it’s just that I took it at night inside. It’s actually bout exactly the color of yours.

4 Likes