The Passage of Time

I’m not saying it’s the only thing, obviously sometimes children don’t want to carry the business on. And I know that the internet gives people an option to buy jewelry without having to travel out west. But it still makes me a little bit sad. We had a family business way before the internet, but the big box stores coming in along with high interest rates in the late '70s/ '80s killed it.

2 Likes

What’s sad is none of these Estes Park shops were replaced. Unfortunately, high-end NA jewelry stores are becoming more and more extinct the farther away you get from the Four Corners.

3 Likes

Yes it is and I’ll be keeping an eye out for more of his work.

1 Like

Not to mention the rent or lease renewal. Most everyone I knew with a business had to either find another building usually not ideally located or just quit it. Malls are completely boring but all you have to knows is that huge cruise ships have all those same stores on their ships. Nutty. Internet is good but even I know that I’m only seeing a fraction of what I’d see if I went to the Southwest.

1 Like

Great pictures and memories @TAH ! I’ve never been to Estes Park, but must get there before too long. Sad that your favorite shops are gone…the picture of Big Thompson Indian Village looks like the kind of place I’d love to visit. I hate to see these wonderful, and in some cases historic, places lost. But it seems with time, so many of our favorite people and places are no longer. Thanks for sharing your memories!

3 Likes