Thomas Singer Hallmark

I have a fair collection of Thomas Singer pieces and am always looking for more. Presently there are many items for sale with a hallmark I have never sen in my 25 years of research and the sellers tell me to research it. It is on cast pieces and is “STC” all in a straight line. I know the staggered “STC” as Thomas’ and just want to have a reference if this other one is his.

1 Like

I’ve researched them pretty good in the last few years and I’ve not seen the letters in a straight line. I have a peyote bird necklace with the S and a crescent. But hey, my few years hardly makes me an expert. Any one else?

Is it a “S” with a cresent opening toward the “s”?

Yes, the opening of the crescent is opening towards the S.

4 Likes

All my research shows the hallmark as “artist unknown”. I have one more source but it is at a friend’s , if I learn anything new I’ll post it. Very nice piece!

1 Like

Thank you, and yes any new information you find out would be appreciated.

I’ve seen that STC in a straight line also on a lot of watch bands. I’m wondering if it’s Skyway Trading Co. I’ve seen some seller’s reference STC as Skyway in the listing, whereas others claim it’s Tommy Singer. But if one really looks close as the inlay, which is impossible in a photograph…there is a difference. STC had a mark that was in a straight line but with an arch for a brief time, then STCo. and then I think just STC. Some of it is marked USA.

Then again, who knows? I’ve got my one known Tommy Singer piece mounted in a shadow box as there is some inlay missing and didn’t want to risk any additional damage. But it does have the STC mark you refer to. I’ve got another piece I posted here a few days ago with a T mark that sure looks like his, but also has the Ortega Shop mark. I’m clueless. Do you have any Singer pieces with the T hallmark?

Nice piece and that is the only “STC” I know that Tommy used. I have about 50 pieces with his hallmark as a T, Tc, STC . and his various signatures. I think he also used just an “S” but not positive. I also have pieces from his cousins Charlie and William. Many times I see the “Ortega” mark along with an artist and I just go with the artist.

2 Likes

Was recently looking for watchbands. Kept coming across the same square blue watch face branded “NATIVE”, with faintly “navajo-ish” bands on both Ebay and Etsy: wildly varying prices - $42 to $150. All marked in straight line STC with USA and Sterling marked below on both sides of the watch itself

Finally tracked down a webpage for SKYWAY TRADING CO INC at 3012 Central Ave SE in Albuquerque which described it as a “wholesaler for jewelry, watches and precious stones”.
President Mohammed Quraishi 505-262-1448. 2 comment that “this is a burned our building for the past 2.5 yrs” and “loved my sterling steer head bolo tie”…
(No idea how long ago that was written)
https://new-mexico.wholesale-durable.or/400938-skyway_trading_co_inc.htm

A google map search for that address showed a one-story white, beat up (possibly boarded up) building.
Suddenly, finding numerous almost identical watchbands on the “used” market made perfect sense. Ordered an inexpensive one for everyday wear, and eager to see what the “coral” and “turquoise” are when it arrives.,maybe slightly better than plastic?

2 Likes

Interesting. When I clicked on the link just now, it says it can’t be reached. So I googled and only found this …not the same :laughing:

I see the back of the watch says “native.” Hmmmm, trying to imply Native American made without exactly saying it I would guess.

1 Like

Yes there is a big "Skyway LLC " presence in electronics…had to go way down the google search to find the jewelry “Skyway Trading Co Inc”. Sorry the link didn’t work.
Agree the "“Native” brand watch a clever marketing ploy. Some of the watches I looked at didn’t have anything written on the back. Somewhere in my research I recall reading China or Japan re-named a town decades ago “Native” so they could label “Native -Made”.

1 Like

bad link or/

good link org/

https://new-mexico.wholesale-durable.org/400938-skyway_trading_co_inc.htm

2 Likes

I thought it was interesting because of the last name of the owner, and that the other Skyway is based in Dubai.

I hadn’t heard of China renaming a town, but I believe that happened in the Philippines with a town there that was renamed “Zuni.”

1 Like

Your Peyote bird necklace is fabulous! I’ve seen so many, most not TS, but yours shows that wonderful silver-work. In my opinion this demonstrates the best of chip inlay work! I bet it’s a heavy piece.

1 Like

@Bmpdvm
Thanks!

3 Likes