Tibet | saddle Ring called Tsechock

Some fun research-
“Saddle Ring, typical of Tibetan and Nepalese cultures. All rings with this particular ‘saddle’ shape are called ‘Tsechok’ and are usually worn on the middle finger, which is considered as one of the nine gates through which vital energies can exit and evil spirits can enter. Wearing the ring on this finger closes that gate.”

I found the urn/vase design a little baffling. Interestingly, I found reference to urns situated at the termination of walks and vistas. Possibly, in this instance signifying the gate through which energies exit and enter mentioned above?

My questions are : )

1. Is this a saddle ring?
  2. Is the middle stone Turquoise?
  3. What would you date this?
  4. Do you think the black is authentic patina or applied?
    It’s got some weight at 19 grams and is about 2" long- size 11.

Thanks All.

1 Like

Cool ring. I like the history you shared.
Patina appears to be applied to me.
Center stone may or may not be Turquoise.
The red stones appear to be coral, either natural red coral or dyed.

1 Like

I think you can call this a saddle ring. The “saddle” probably just means it resembles a yak saddle (per my very shallow 6-minute browsing). It seems to have been a traditional form.
The rest of the interpretation cited above: with a grain of salt. “Tse Chok” actually is the name of a famous monastery.

Turq-coral rings in silver exist in vast numbers and are almost definitely of recent vintage. Here’s what the rich-warlord version looks like, per Flickr:

Imgur

2 Likes

For me the whole gate thing is a little creepy. Interesting it’s supposed to be through the middle finger.

1 Like

There are many vintage rings made from Silver, Turquoise and silver.

I have a few dating from the 1960’s to 1980’s.

1 Like

Was told this is about 70s Tibetan saddle ring and the vase is symbol of the ‘treasure vase’, one of the Ashtamangala or ‘eight auspicious signs’ of Buddhism, often seen in Himalayan art. Mystery solved : )