Tony Aguilar Brass and Turquoise Necklace

I’m pretty sure that this wonderful necklace is a piece of Tony Aguilar’s work. I had a cuff that I sold several years ago and have regretted it since the day I sold it. I have been looking online and there is a wide range of asking prices. I checked a couple of places for sold items and found some but the prices had been removed.
The necklace is fairly long at 28-29” and it weighs 244 grams. I’m trying to get information about the turquoise and also what the value is.
I’ve worn it several more times and it’s staying with me but I would still like to know about the turquoise.
Thanks for your help as always.

3 Likes

Is anyone familiar with this artist? Would also like to find out about the turquoise. Thanks for the help.

I have continued to look for more information on this piece and the more I see the more confusing it becomes. I am seeing variations in the hallmark. Some are attributed to Tony Sr. and some to Wayne Aguilar whom I believe is the grandson. Then there is Tony, Jr. who supposedly used his fathers hallmark. How do you find the truth?
If anyone can determine who actually made my necklace and can give me some information about the turquoise I would be truly grateful. Thanks

1 Like

It might be worth it to send an inquiry to wright’s gallery in Albuquerque. they are a respectable shop and have had jr’s work in the past Tony Aguilar Jr. Archives - Wright's Gallery. Sorry we just don’t his work.

1 Like

Thanks for the lead. I just needed a reputable and knowledgeable place to contact. I really appreciate the help.

@Jason, your lead to Wright’s was great. I messaged them and they said that they would be happy to help me with determining which Aguilar made the necklace. It won’t be till tomorrow since they are closed today. Thanks again.

What a beautiful necklace!! I recently acquired a necklace that is turquoise with brass and has a similiar hallmark. I’m wondering if there’s a family relation.

1 Like

Yes there is. Tony Aguilar Sr and Tony Jr used very similar marks. One used a more curved line on the top while the other used a straight top.
I got an unmarked necklace recently and after much research finally discovered the artist. (I was thinking Aguilar or Coriz) It turned out to be Nestoria Coriz. I have a small pendant by her but nothing on this scale. It is done in silver.

1 Like

Beautiful necklace.
I like how the hallmark appears to be on everything metal. Some artists use metal pieces made by others, with that hallmark. Then put their hallmark on other pieces. This can be very confusing.

I have a bracelet that was made by one of two brothers. For a while they both had the same hallmark.
I will probably never know which brother made my bracelet, but I love and wear it.

2 Likes

I had wondered about that necklace. You thought it might be made by Mary Lovato since it was similar to mine.

1 Like

Yes I considered her as well. It was nice to get a definitive answer on this one. Sometimes you never do.

1 Like