Too thick to squeeze closed

Good Day :slightly_smiling_face:
I went to the jeweler to have them squeeze the bracelet closed more because it’s too big for me. 1/2 inch or so. I was told it could be put in really hot water and try to squeeze it after that but I was worried about the little turquoise stone getting damaged. I chose not to leave it with the jeweler. The band is 6.5 millimeters which is too thick for me to try and manipulate but I was wondering if it could be adjusted at all with the coiled stations on the band? TYSM.

5 Likes

Nice bracelet!

No amount of hot water is going to affect it in terms of malleability. It needs to be adjusted on a steel mandrel with a non-marring rawhide mallet. Done by an expert, this won’t damage the stone.

Most fine jewelers work on a completely different scale, and in a very different medium than southwestern (incl. Native) silversmiths, so you’ll need to take it, or send it to someone who specializes in Indian Jewelry repair.

To preserve the roundness of the wrap wire, you’ll want to suggest using a piece of iron hide or other thick leather between the mandrel and the bracelet.

3 Likes

Hot water is not going to do anything to that metal to make it easier to reshape, I can’t believe a jeweler told you that, it’s laughable.

A real jeweler could close that gap for you to keep it on your wrist, but that may deform the shape a bit. Lastly, with cuffs you NEVER pull open or squeeze closed, you will hardened the middle and eventually it will crack.

3 Likes

Thank you so much. I really appreciate you reply. Can you suggest a jeweler to send it to? Thanks so much again.

2 Likes

Thanks so much, that’s good to know. Now I’m really glad I decided not to let him close it for me. Wow, thanks again.

3 Likes

You can send it to Perry Null in Gallup, NM. I have heard on here that they do a great job. Check out this post.Perry Null Trading Repairs I don’t have the address handy, but I bet someone on here does, or you can Google it.

And I am no jewelry fixing expert, but I believe water could loosen the stone in the setting and cause it to fall out (if it’s native made anyway). We have had discussions on here about not leaving your rings on while washing your hands.

3 Likes

Water shouldn’t loosen any stone, native made or otherwise. I think the reason it’s not advised to wash with a turquoise is turquoise is porous and may absorb the soap ingredients, dyes, etc.

2 Likes

My understanding is that if the stone is set in the traditional way, it has sawdust under it to raise and cushion it. Water will cause the sawdust to change and the stone will become loose. Has happened to me.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for that information. I will google it and see what I can find. Thanks again :blush:

1 Like

Oh, sawdust - yeah the water will hasten the breakdown of the sawdust so the stone will rattle around once it starts to disintegrate. I fixed some bezels / replaced cracked stones that had sawdust under the stones.

2 Likes

I looked up the artist. His name is Rick Monte and he says he is Navajo. Thanks for the read. I take all my rings

off when I wash my hands :relaxed: That’s definitely good information to know.

1 Like

It’s a really pretty bracelet. Glad you know about not getting stuff wet; like I said, I didn’t, and had to learn the hard way. :crazy_face: I live in IN so have to send my stuff out, cause jewelers here don’t know how to fix native jewelry. I used to mail it to a place in old town ABQ till they closed, so last summer while visiting I took some stuff in to Palms Trading in ABQ, and they did a great job. Now since I am on this forum, I am planning on using Perry Null (have something to send in, just haven’t done it yet). Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks :relaxed: I took a break from collecting but now I’m back. I prefer vintage pieces but this nice study piece drew me in. I purchase pieces I like because I have very little knowledge of the artist. After talking to the jeweler, I remembered this site and thank goodness I did :sweat_smile: I found the address to the jeweler you suggested and will ship it out today or tomorrow. Thanks so much again, I really appreciate it.

1 Like

Glad you are back, although I just joined last September.

I’m similar to you, in that I generally haven’t sought out particular artists (except a very few) - just whatever I’m drawn to. Whenever I’m out West shopping in trading posts, etc, I tend to gravitate towards the pawn section. My shopping always is very sentimental. Seems like every piece I get, I can remember exactly where I got it, and I love the memories.

2 Likes

What an excellent way to remember each piece. I love sterling bracelets and have collected quite a few. I wanted to mix up the styles a bit and I thought NA pieces could compliment some of my existing pieces. I will have to post some of my finds to maybe get some information on them and possibly any history other collectors may have knowledge of.

1 Like

Yes, please! Would love to see your finds.

1 Like

I honestly don’t have many pieces but I plan to work on that over the next six to eight weeks. I adore vintage jewelry. I have collected jade and amber for many years and in 2019, I started collecting vintage West Indian bangles. That became my focus when everything shut down. I opened up a little shop online and have met so many wonderful collectors since then. I closed down a week ago and decided to grow my Native American collection during my recovery. I do not know anything about the pieces I’ve purchased, so I’m guessing I will post them on the identification thread :relaxed:

1 Like