Trading Post Guidebook

@Ziacat Hi ~ I’ve been wanting to ask you about this for a while. You’ve mentioned a book that you own, “Trading Post Guidebook”. Seems like the book is informative & has been helpful to you in your travels. You’ve also shared that some of these trading posts have permanently closed. In light of that, do you think it’d still be worthwhile to order this book? Thx.

3 Likes

Hmmmm, let me ponder on that a moment :laughing:

For me it would be, because a number of them are still open, and it also recommends shops in some of the cities like Sedona, Santa Fe, ABQ, and Gallup. It doesn’t go as far south as Phoenix or Tucson; staying mostly in the Four Corners area. A number of the trading posts on the Navajo Rez are still open. Oh, it also covers the Pueblos and the National Parks. And what I love is there’s a lot of history, beautiful photos, and information about Native American arts, not just jewelry. And maps! I loooove maps.

So…YES! I think it’s still worthwhile. I need to find out if they have an updated version (mine is literally falling apart). Although I kind of like the old one; I would miss having the info about the old Trading Posts.

Although one of my favorite places, Ogg’s Hogan, wasn’t in there, because it doesn’t go quite that far south (Prescott). I just got lucky and stumbled on that one, aaaaaand now it’s closing too.

Sorry for the not very good quality of the picture, but it gives you an idea of what it’s like. It’s grouped into sections related to the maps, and each chapter gives you some info on that area, and has a chapter at the beginning about the history of Trading Posts. This pic is the entry on Toby Turpen’s, which is now Perry Null. So that gives you an idea of how old mine is. Sorry for way too much information!

4 Likes

@Ziacat I appreciate all the information that you’ve shared. I didn’t realize that it also covers the Pueblos, National Parks, and maps. Sounds like my kind of book! So far, I’ve only seen a secondhand book published in 1995. But, I’ll research more thoroughly before I make my purchase. Thank you for all your help!

1 Like

You are so welcome! I love books.

I just looked, 1995 was when mine was published.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I bought mine in one of the National Park bookstores. I don’t know if any of the parks in the Four Corners area, like Hubble Trading Post, or Chaco Canyon would have one, but probably hasn’t been updated if you couldn’t find anything else online.

1 Like

@Ziacat I love books, too, and have been an avid reader my whole life. Thanks for the tip ~ I’ll definitely checkout the NP bookstores and Hubble Trading Post for a copy.

1 Like

Hi Patina,

At the recommendation of @Ziacat, I recently purchased a guidebook for the information, but also for nostalgia. Got mine on eBay used for $4.36. There are several listed right now in all different conditions. One new for $8.95. Great book!

3 Likes

@TAH Hi ~ thank you for your input! Much appreciated. I’ll definitely checkout those eBay listings today.

2 Likes

@TAH @Ziacat I just ordered the Trading Post Guidebook! I visited the online stores for Hubbell’s & NPs in the Four Corners areas - none of them offered this book. I ordered it on eBay. Something I noticed: All listed books, with one exception, have “Second Edition Revised & Updated” at the bottom of the front cover. Though it appears they were all published by Northland Publishing in 1995. Thank you both for all the info and help. Can’t wait to get my book…

2 Likes

So now I think I’m going to read through it again before we go to Arizona in April :grin:

I just looked at mine again; it has second edition revised and updated on the cover also. So there must have been an even earlier one.

2 Likes