Trying to identify artist & meaning(s) on cuff

Inquiring about a turquoise & coral inlaid silver cuff bracelet

Circa 1960-1970s-ishh?

Stamped: AllEN
NOTE: see picture

Also, any insight on meanings that are included in this piece?

The “spread” features waving works: two (2) sets of waves that flow in the direction towards each other, but in an opposing way (design flipped & reversed). One wave is with inlaid corals and the other with inlaid turquoise.

Outlining the waves, the sides of the cuff. What are those? Suns? Eyes?

Thanks!!!

This style is referred to as Navajo chip inlay. I couldn’t find anything soon the hallmark and the design is stamp work on each end that I don’t believe has any meaning.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help, @Jason!

Yes, after more research, I agree that it’s Navajo; prior to my posting this, I was presuming Zuni (based on their history of using inlay) but the hallmark style points more towards Navajo. Also, it fits the timeline better. :wink:

Would it be safe to consider that the material is Silver, as opposed to Sterling Silver?

The weight of the cuff is just under 22 g (exact wt. 21.93 g)

Cannot locate my metric caliper, but has a decent thickness to the cuff:

This hallmark is such a hitch for me.
If the designer was an ‘Allen’, I’m curious about their reason for use of lower case ‘L’s. Lost that L stamp?

OR

Aiien?

Regardless, this is a family heirloom piece that I’m preparing to pass along, just trying to get any info to include with piece.

Thanks again for your help!

I would assume it is sterling silver, which means it is 92.5% silver.

1 Like

I think this design is called water wave design…I’ve read that it is a sign of continuous life. It’s beautiful!

1 Like