Trying to Learn More About My Thunderbird Ring

This is my new to me Thunderbird ring. I bought it from an auction without a lot of pictures. The interior is not what I was expecting. I’m trying to figure out the construction details, approximate age and value. I have only been able to find one comparable ring and it was a dead end. At first I thought the base was cast and the stone and bezel recessed into the opening. Now I’m wondering if a new stone was cut to replace a missing stone in an older setting. Can someone please help me understand? Is it even NA?

4 Likes

I think it’s a contemporary centrifugally cast commercial piece intended to look like vintage Fred Harvey material. Sold with or without a stone. Not Navajo handmade, in the sense that a Navajo person didn’t make that shank.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/716805155/sterling-silver-thunderbird-cabochon?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_a-craft_supplies_and_tools-blanks-jewelry-rings&utm_custom1=k_CjwKCAjwuIWHBhBDEiwACXQYsZpUPfQnQWH7qg_Mm5TgtV6m0bucomCCC4tV_o3qAD9TAEvBJ_AQZhoCi0YQAvD_BwE_k&utm_content=go_12569400892_126353599144_507394737817_pla-295943913746_c__716805155_137257537&utm_custom2=12569400892&gclid=CjwKCAjwuIWHBhBDEiwACXQYsZpUPfQnQWH7qg_Mm5TgtV6m0bucomCCC4tV_o3qAD9TAEvBJ_AQZhoCi0YQAvD_BwE

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000659248889.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.30ee75e5tvbAxw&algo_pvid=fc4e824f-c438-45aa-bb73-6684abeac680&algo_exp_id=fc4e824f-c438-45aa-bb73-6684abeac680-9

3 Likes

Thanks. I saw those too except they are all just cast forms that the turquoise sits in. They all seem to be lacking the plain silver bezel around the turquoise that sits above the base. I also have been unable to find any (except for the dead end listing) that have the bead detail or the crossed arrows. The few with interior pictures show a smooth interior which is lacking in mine.
Also, any idea on turquoise id?

Hmm. Your listing photo shows the company Black Diamond Curio, so I looked at their website and they’re selling new jewelry in the Fred Harvey style, and some vintage pieces. Maybe best to write them and ask to confirm what exactly they know about it?

1 Like

I emailed them and got a rather ambiguous reply. I’m adding a screenshot.
That still didn’t answer my question so if @Jason or you or someone else can help explain the differences I would love to know. Thanks :blush:

The construction is a cast ring shank, and then the top bottom plate was added and then stone bezeled. I don’t think it is a replacement just how the ring is made.

1 Like

Thank you. So if I’m interpreting you correctly the construction is slightly more complicated than just setting turquoise into a completely cast ring?
Do you have any idea of age?

It is easier to cast the complete piece. Age is difficult to determine. It does look like your stone has no backing which might help indicate age. Did the company tell you anything about the age?

1 Like

No I bought it from an individual who had no background information. I like Thunderbirds and the turquoise matches other pieces that I wear. I don’t even know what the value is.

I am going to say 1980s would be the oldest, $125ish

1 Like

That ring just has a cool look to it. I really like it! :+1:

2 Likes