Turquoise Cab With Filler

Sharing this interesting Turquoise cab.
Purchased from Thunderbird Supply in Gallup. Mid 1980’s.

The black areas are the same black resin type material used on the bottom of the cab.
I was told at purchase that this was often done to fill in vugs/holes/cracks in cabs.

The black areas are fairly soft and can be easily scratched.

This cab is about 1” long. I do not know the type of Turquoise. Color is accurate.

2 Likes

Cool looking stone. I have never heard of that. I’ll have to look that one up. It looks like matrix. I pulled out a cuff I have with similar spots like this and they did scratch off. Something else to look out for I guess. It’s a pretty stone either way. Thanks so much for sharing :smiley:

1 Like

I like the contrast between the filler and the stone.

1 Like

Yes absolutely, the color of the turquoise is beautiful too.

1 Like

Are you sure that’s filler? That stone really looks like some of the stones we’ve talked about whether they’re Blue Diamond, Carlin, or Stormy Mountain. I have a necklace with a few stones like that and I know that it’s not filler in mine.

Here’s the thread Huge Pendant I love - any thoughts?
If you scroll down the thread you will see the similar stones.

But the black in mine isn’t soft, so that would be different

Unless they used the filler to make it look like turquoise from other mines. Whatever the case, it’s pretty.

This is the one I’m thinking of in particular.

1 Like

I was told it was filler, when purchased. It appears to be the same material as the backing. Same color and hardness.

Over the years, some of it on the edges fell out.
I will have to get some more recent photos of it.

2 Likes