Turquoise/Coral in Vintage Necklaces?

KNow these are not Native American, but from India. Hope it is OK to ask help on ID.

I have a great friend who gave me the remainder of stock from her 1980’s-90’s Native Trading Post.
It included 8 necklaces she said were from India. At the time, she paid $10.00 each for them in a lot of 50 and sold for $25.00.
I am trying to determine if the teardrop beads in many of the necklaces contain real Turquoise and Red Coral.
I compared these beads to tiny cabs I have. The cabs were purchased as Sleeping Beauty Turquoise from a very reputable Native American supply store in the mid 1980’s.
The beads appear to be some type of thin base metal. They make a beautiful sound when making contact with each other.
I examined them under a loop and they do not appear to be glass. I also did the needle test.
Another friend was immediately drawn to them. Said they were 1970’s Gypsy necklaces. She felt since they contained many semi precious gemstones and bone, I should get some opinions before taking them apart. The “Turquoise” nuggets remind me of modern day dyed Howlite. Most of the other rocks appear to be natural.
Turning to the experts here.
I am showing a couple of the full necklaces, in addition to the beads in hopes it helps with ID. If they are glass, it is fine with me. Just do not know very much about 1970’s jewelry from India.

Thank you

It is always difficult to tell from an image, but I don’t think these are real turquoise or coral pieces. They look almost like glass?

1 Like

I thought glass at first, but am not certain.
Here is another necklace from the same batch. The pendant appears to be some type of silver, based on my testing. Could these have been made in India from old Yemen components? The craftsmanship reminds me of the Yemen style of bead/pendant making. Molten silver put into a form, then patterns pressed. Sections of the pattern were cut to shape when cool. Beads were made by soldering the strips of silver together.

Both blue and red looks glass to me. I like what looks like moonstone in the first piece.

Thanks. Appreciate the ID help.
Not sure if it is Moonstone or something else.

I am also going to say that the stones in question are red and blue glass, which would be common for necklaces such as this. Glass would not react to a needle test. This is a vintage piece, and glass making has changed over the years, so that’s might why the cabs don’t resemble glass under a jeweler’s loupe.

I would check the content of the metal of these. I doubt they are sterling. Necklaces like this are normally a white brass or other material. If they are sterling, there would be value.

The easiest way to identify real coral is to put a drop of water on coral if drop of water flows it’s synthetic because natural coral hold the drop of water.20181014-4 20181014-3 20181014-2

7 Likes