Turquoise Encyclopedia--Non-American Mines

Starting a few threads to create a repository for verified turquoise examples for reference. To post a pic here, let’s define “verified” as you have provenance or the word of the person who mined or created the stone/piece and can say 100% that’s what mine it came from. As much as I treasure the expertise of this group, we probably shouldn’t count the collective guesses of the forum as verified, though. :sob:

Thought it’d be fun to see what we have and help everyone with identification! Non-American mines on this thread…go!! :grin:

3 Likes

Sonoran Gold (Mexico). These have some nice pyrite. A little hard to tell but the ring on the right is more of a minty green.

2 Likes

Golden Hills turquoise (Kazakhstan).

3 Likes

Natural Sonoran Gold turquoise

6 Likes

Looooove that cactus pendant. Different shades of one stone is so pretty.

3 Likes

Hubai turquoise. Silver Tufa cast cuff by Lee Begay (brother of Daryl Dean Begay).

7 Likes

I went to the local mineral and gem show this weekend; so much goodness packed into one room! It was hard not to buy too much, but I did come away with these great Chinese turquoise cabs that I’m going to make into earrings. Unfortunately, the extent of my jewelry making is putting a simple post on the back, but these should make great earrings!

5 Likes

I love gem and mineral shows! But it’s always hard to pick out what pieces to buy unless you have a specific use in mind. Your Chinese cabs are so nice, especially the smaller tighter spiderweb cabs you want to use for earrings! Your larger cabs look similar to the Hubai in my cuff😊. I know it varies and depends on the quality of each cab, but I’m curious, how is the price of Chinese turquoise compared to American mines (like Kingman)?

2 Likes

@Bmpdvm thank you! Yes, those spiderweb ones are what caught my eye. He had a number of Chinese pieces; all were lovely and although most were aqua in color, a few were a nice green. These were a little costlier than the American turquoise this seller had, but more because of the spiderwebbing. I was quite surprised at how few pieces of turquoise there was at this show; most people who had turquoise cabs only had a handful of them so I didn’t get a good sampling to really say.

3 Likes

Hubei

Sonoran gold

Whitewater

5 Likes

That cuff is killer🤩

2 Likes

That’s a beautiful Whitewater turquoise cab. I like your turquoise flower pendant. Did you make it?

2 Likes

@Patina
No, I did not make that one. It was a gift.
I should probably smooth out that bezel, though!

I did make the Sonoran gold pendant.

5 Likes

@Stracci, I haven’t been a fan of Sonoran Gold, but your pendant is changing my mind. It’s beautiful and the cab (nugget?) gives it a vintage look…lovely.
I haven’t seen any Whitewater turquoise on this forum, but your cab has so much character; I’m anxious to see what you do with it😊. These are some Whitewater cabs I purchased from a friend who had a huge cab collection:

3 Likes