Turquoise Fashion

Love love love cowboy boots…am drooling over those Gringo and metallic boots! I have a great old pair of Tony Llamas that are my traditional cowboy boots and these two pairs of Fryes that are my go-tos; I got lucky finding a buy one get one sale. And they actually walk well…fit my feet well enough to walk distance in and they have held up very well over the years with thick soles and a solid toe box.

5 Likes

I have one of the “little squash” type necklaces. I borrow my sisters squash blossom if I need something with more oomph :wink:

8 Likes

@RedlandMaggie I love this! I would like to have a nice squash blossom one day, but have never found a traditional one that I think I would wear… I just don’t wear long, large necklaces so I’ve never wanted to invest the money in a traditional squash.

Necklaces like these and mini squashes like this are more my style, Even though it is still a little longer than I look for, it is more in line with what I would picture myself wearing.

2 Likes

Having lived in Pendleton, Oregon for a number of years (although back over on the damp side of Oregon now), in addition to coming up on 40 years as a permanent seat holder at the Pendleton Round-Up… I am guilty of having a ridiculous amount of Pendleton woolen coats (4) and vests (8), plus purses and jewelry with our iconic bucking bronc (by artist Wallace Smith). Does anyone else wear items that identify themselves closely to their home or home state with their fabulous NA jewelry?

3 Likes

I moved back to Missouri in 2006 (born and raised) after 13 yrs in NM. I work for Mizzou but refuse to wear black-and-gold or tiger striped anything, because i’m contrarian like that. :wink: I find a way to wear some kind of southwest jewelry almost every day, usually earrings.

(hubby wore a pendleton vest in our wedding!)

3 Likes

So…IN doesn’t really have anything typical to our state clothing wise. I love MI and the Great Lakes (but IN is a wonderful place to live even if scenically challenged at times), so I have loads of T’s from there. I wear those with my jewelry all the time :laughing:

My jewelry is part of me. Makes me stand out from the rest of us (we?) Hoosiers.

Well, I forgot. We do have a lot of Amish out my way. I guess I could go that route…nope.

5 Likes

Pendleton fan here. I own five wool Western shirts. They’re an essential winter survival item for me. :+1:

2 Likes

Aren’t they the warmest? I have one of my grandfather’s and one of my dad’s that I wear. I love them.

1 Like

From the Carolinas, there isn’t anything that is just specifically iconic as far as jewelry, but I do have some Stuart Nye silver jewelry; he’s known for a very specific style of things like dogwood flower and other local flora and fauna jewelry… His shop was and is in the North Carolina mountains.

I also wear a Charleston rice bead necklace sometimes, and have numerous South Carolina pendants of different styles… The palmetto and Moon flag is one that I have always loved and I have a lot of stuff with that on it.

We do have some native American jewelry in and around Cherokee, North Carolina, and I do have a cuff bracelet from a jeweler there, but it’s been years since I have been there and I’d like to go back now that I know more about NA jewelry!

Not something that I wear, but the SC lowcountry Gullah sweetwater baskets are incredible and so tightly woven that they will hold water. Expensive these days and I was lucky to inherit a couple of them for my grandmother.

9 Likes

I’m familiar with Stuart Nye jewelry! We used to sell it in my family’s general store. I still have one bangle.

I thought I saw one in your bracelet picture :grin:

2 Likes

@Ziacat yes!! I think best known for the dogwood designs but there are others, too, mostly native floral and leaf designs. And good eye, Yes, I did post a picture of a dogwood cuff that I have, but I can’t remember that post name now. Haha

The studio is based in Asheville, North Carolina.

https://www.stuartnye.com/

4 Likes

They say presentation is everything. Here’s a “fashion accessory” to make your turquoise jewelry look even better when you’re walking around your house. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Big fan of the sweetgrass baskets and interested in Gullah culture. I have a few good baskets, from current makers and one vintage. My fave maker is Corey Alston, a lovely guy and amazing artist.

1 Like

When I hit the lottery, my western home is going to have a room full of Thomas Molesworth furniture :heartbeat:

8 Likes

Ralph Lauren’s Telluride Ranch would work for me.

7 Likes

Rocket Buster used to have a store in Nob Hill in Albuquerque. I’m a sucker for quirky, creative western fashion, and I’ve always loved their boots!

6 Likes

Yup, a couple pair of their boots are on my bucket list also - they are amazing!

1 Like

We had a tiny version of a Ralph Lauren log cabin - our grandparents built it in the late 30’s. Unfortunately gone as my dad and uncle didn’t want to maintain it when all of us lived out of town. Sold it to a neighbor with deep pockets who only wanted the lots and not the cabin. It’s a memory now, although I have my favorite pieces of furniture and all of the ski’s from the 1930’s and newer in my basement.

5 Likes

Well, this is nice. I think it’s time for my wife and I to renew our vows. :grin:

6 Likes

Oh for sure :laughing:

Darn 20 characters

1 Like