Turquoise in very old ring

Hi folks, I turned up a real eye catcher of an old Navajo ring with an old-timey, handcut turquoise. Bad cloudy day for pics. But the matrix is dark brown and toward rust in color. It is moderately domed (clearly hand done). I do have a strong hunch of what the stone is but welcome your thoughts. Hopefully @Jason can also take a peek. Thanks.
![Ring 1|518x500](upload://qfACQ

I3d9EkoiY63LvDKB1fTM3m.jpeg)

8 Likes

I have no guess, but it’s beautiful.

3 Likes

I love the 3 silver drops on each side!

3 Likes

Stunning ring. Everything you would want it to be. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Talk about a great Navajo jewelry look. I think of it s something like Morenci, but could be a number of things.

1 Like

Wow, thanks for the feedback @Jason and all. I wouldn’t have thought of Morenci, so that’s extra interesting.

So in case folks are curious about my hunch, that guess would be Persian. It apparently had a nice, waxy/matte look in the early years. What made me think of this was finding a ring online from a thoroughly reputable dealer that he identified as Persian (see pic). But as always, who knows! :grinning:

I hadn’t considered Persian. If the stone ever comes out of its setting you will know. No backing and it will have that cut many times where the bottom is smaller than top.

1 Like

Thanks for that interesting tip, Jason. Modern Persian cabs with high polish are so different from the softer look of the old material. But again I’m not betting on Persian being right, just possible I think.

It’s beautiful, makes my heart pitter patter :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

It does have a bit of a high dome (not sure if that was as much of a thing for older Persian cut turquoise as it is now but I think so?)

1 Like

Yes, you can often see early Persian stones in bracelets and rings that are domed/boulder. The other stone I showed above with the real boulder profile is stated to be 1920s.

https://www.turkey-mountain.com/galleries/p/rings-template-bhp6l-pp48n-kat3b-dr3yz-p6tlw-brbfh-wjeen

Or in this bracelet
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184329946857

Not that I’m dying on this hill, just speculating. :slightly_smiling_face: