Turquoise Ring - Need your opinion!

After learning that my turquoise set is completely costume jewelry from my post earlier today , I thought of sharing these 2 vintage pieces and asking your expert opinion on them.

I was told the ring is all natural Navajo vintage ring. no mark
The earrings are said to be Zuni and marked sterling.

Are they truly Navajo and Zuni? are they vintage? and is the turquoise genuine ?

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

will share more pictures if needed!

1 Like

The ring appears to be turquoise but I can’t figure out what is going on with the back. It looks like it has been repaired or possibly that someone turned something else into a ring. Just don’t understand why the extra layer of silver.
The earrings look legitimate and appear to have some age. The one on the left looks like someone cleaned it. It’s dramatically different in color than the one on the right. Think you have a nice pair in those.
I’m not sure if you know that turquoise doesn’t do well with chemicals. The untreated pieces will change color from body oils as you can see in the earrings. Some have turned green. Normally I only use a polishing cloth on my turquoise pieces unless it’s really nasty or it arrives with silver polish or something embedded in it. Then a soft toothbrush, dry or damp.

2 Likes

@Islandmomma

The seller did mention the same thing about the ring. it might be reinforced or it was part of the original design given that its a heavy and super long ring. It’s still on it way to me and he does accept returns.

The earring …I did ask the seller about the change in the color of silver…polished and unpolished …yet to hear back!

Yes, am aware of the fact that Turquoise changes colors if left untreated and I must admit that I do quite like that and am looking for untreated pieces.

Any info about which mine these turquoise might belong? are they untreated?

Thanks!

Hi @SJ, I like the ring. The construction is a bit unusual, it’s like someone put an extra piece of metal there to make it a smaller size, other than that it’s spot on. I couldn’t tell you where the turquoise came from though. It could be an older ring, I’ll be interested to see what others thinks about a possible age.
The earrings also, should be older with the screw backs. The different turquoise colors are expected with age, on natural material, because of the differing porosity of each stone absorbing oils and lotions and other things to differing degrees. The patina situation is confusing though, was one piece cleaned? Its hard to clean so thoroughly down in the crevices like that so that it looks new.

1 Like

Lol, I should have checked, at least we said basically the same thing.

1 Like

@AC

Thanks for your opinion on these.

I agree that the construction of the ring is unusual…will wait until I get it tomorrow and share a picture. I do have the option to return…do you all think I should? I paid quite a bit for it.! what do you think might be a good price for it?

The earrings - I heard back from the seller and she said that she found these at an estate sale and is selling it as is. ie. one polished and the other with the original patina. She thinks these are natural turquoise and Zuni made. I got them for $36. It will be delivered today!

As long as they are truly vintage and real stones, I don’t worry much about color…I love them all…green, blue and in between! lol

2 Likes

@AC can SJ use some Liver of Sulpur carefully between earring stones?

1 Like

Difficult to even say that, with the slightly blurry pictures. I’m mostly going on the screw backs themselves, otherwise I’d consider the possibility of a newer piece that, as @Q-tea suggest could be made to look like it has a patina with Liver of Sulfer. If they are indeed older, someone used some sort of jewelry dip to clean one and started on the other, it can take the shine off of the stones.

I’ve never used it so probably better answered by someone who has. I would think use it to make the shiny one look like the one with patina and then slightly surface polish them both with a polishing cloth.

I think you will know about the earrings when you see them. The pictures look like turquoise. If the stones look ok, I would keep them for $36.00. However, rather than dip the other earring in a cleaning solution, I would try a soft toothbrush with some plain toothpaste and try to avoid the turquoise. It’s a gentler method than a cleaning solution. Then go over them both with a polishing cloth meant for silver and try to reduce the glaring brightness of the harsher cleaning solution.
As far as the ring, wait and see how it looks and feels. Just based on the not so good pictures I would not pay much for it. IMO the turquoise wasn’t anything spectacular and the construction worries me.
Welcome to the turquoise world and I hope you will find many wonderful pieces for your collection. :blush:

An update on the earrings!

It came , I saw, I was disappointed!

I used a polishing cloth and also used toothpaste and a soft brush to get the tarnish out of the darker piece… the tarnish does not go at all! the other piece looks way too clean and new from the front. there is a bit of tarnish on the back though!

And the search for genuine turquoise and original NA jewelry continues!

will update on the ring once I get it tomorrow!

2 Likes

Update -

The ring came this afternoon and is beautiful! A little bit of toothpaste and it shined up well!

The surprise was that I found a mark on the inside of the ring, it says Sterling and there is a mark too, but being so old it’s hard to read and even harder to take a picture.

The extra piece of silver seems original to the design but am not sure. Its very heavy and looks well constructed.

Now to find out more about the turquoise , age and perhaps value too. Anybody?

2 Likes

Great news. I am so happy for you that it turned out well! Maybe one of the other members that are more knowledgeable about the mines will be able to give you more info. Enjoy!:blush:

1 Like