Turquoise with pyrite

I found this little pendant with small pyrite flecks. My question is, is this Morenci turquoise? Or can other types of turquoise have pyrite in it?

2 Likes

Yes they can. One of the most common with pyrite is Kingman.

4 Likes

I know pyrite is typically seen in both Morenci and Kingman;
in my experience it is much more common in Morenci turquoise. I have several Morenci pieces loaded with pyrite, but this ring by Orville Tsinne seems more like Kingman to me. I’d appreciate all thoughts and opinions!

4 Likes

Hmmm…why do you think Kingman instead of Morenci?

1 Like

It’s something about the deep deep blue. My other Morenci pieces are not as deep blue. I could be wrong, just thought I’d get other opinions. Here’s another of my rings with pyrite that I think is Morenci:

3 Likes

I was curious. Always trying to learn more bout turquoise! I often default to Kingman cause there is quite a bit of it. I have a ring (that I haven’t worn for awhile) that is Kingman that I think has some pyrite. I’ll have to look at it again.

1 Like

I think that the more I study the different mines, the more confused I become. My thoughts are only educated guesses😊. I’ve always called blue Arizona turquoise with pyrite Morenzi, but have seen examples of deep blue Kingman with pyrite. I bought some older Kingman nuggets at a gem and mineral show years that have small iron pyrite cubes embedded in the turquoise, they really sparkle. When I get a chance, I’ll post a photo

3 Likes

This is a very nice grade, you often see this called Ithaca Peak Turquoise.

1 Like

Thanks for he information Jason. I’ve read a bit about Ithica Park, and these deep blue cabs with lots of pyrite seems to make sense. Is Ithica Park typically stabilized like Kingman?

1 Like

Its a higher grade, usually represented as natural.

1 Like