Two grey hills rug?

Purchased this rug with an as is tag. Identified at resale shop with a “handwoven” tag. From comparison images it appears to be a two grey hills design. There is one bar of an off color. Spirit line? This rug is very old. Any opinions appreciated! :blush: There is colored stained glass at my door affecting first two photos. Added more.

3 Likes

What I’m seeing doesn’t look promising as Native weaving. The surface looks wrong–like it’s made of cotton, not wool. Looks more like a low-grade Indian (South Asia) dhurrie rug, with this harsh color palette including stark white and brick. Neither of those tones seems right for Two Grey Hills. Do you know what the material is?

Two Grey Hills is one of the most accomplished styles to weave, and this execution is not at all typical, with the jittery surface and very non-organic- looking color palette. The irregularity is how it was made, too, and not merely evidence of wear.

3 Likes

It’s definitely wool not cotton. Tested. Burnt hair smell. Someone down the road definitely washed it.

1 Like

The colors are all kind of natural, neutral. No white. As stated earlier it appears worn.

What you see as worn is in the weave itself. That’s not how wool Navajo weaving shows wear–it doesn’t make parts raise up and get irregular. Abrasion wears down the surface.

3 Likes

Ahh. I see. Compared to my old saddle blanket I see what your saying.

The horizontal photo perhaps shows moth damage, which could impact the surface on both sides.

1 Like

I was going to say that this rug looks like it’s had some damage. My Mom’s rug that was chewed by our dog looked kinda like this, only on just the end. I’m not getting a complete Two Grey Hills rug feel out of this one either. But I’m certainly no expert.

I thought cotton too, Chic. That, or someone ran it through a washing machine, or abused it with a vacuum cleaner for a long time. that faded looking reddish ground color is throwing me too. If it were brighter red it *might almost lean toward Klagetoh or Ganado, but not stylistically. I can’t tell what the long edges look like either, which will tell you a lot about authenticity.

3 Likes

If it had gone through a washing machine could that have faded the color?

1 Like

Not cotton. Trust me. Took lighter to loose fiber. Definitely wool. Maybe you can see the edge better in new pics. Thanks

What is this?

I wouldn’t rule out this being made by a less experienced weaver, or woven with wool from a less experienced spinner. It’s just got such a coarse look to it that it’s hard to tell if it was originally like that, or mishandled.

2 Likes

it might be a repair, or yarn woven in from a different dye batch. Seems odd to bother weaving in such a small amount of it though, which makes me think repair. If the rest of it is natural dyed, and the repair is aniline, washing it could make the colors of the aniline wool stand out like this.

1 Like

it might also be sun faded. if you look at the end not attached to the rug hanger, it looks lighter than the other end.

1 Like

Good question. I read about spirit lines. Errors in weaving intentionally added so spirit is not trapped. This is so obvious though. It’s not a crooked weave or smaller error. Its literally a grey bar.

I believe mishandled.

1 Like

I see. I don’t believe that is a spirit line. This is one in my Two Grey Hills rug.

They go to the edge of the rug.

4 Likes

Yep, great example of one, too. The other looks like a non-Native person or shop also read about a spirit line without understanding what it’s supposed to do, or how.

2 Likes

Your rug is just like the examples I have seen in images online. Very nice. Thank you for sharing. I do not own any quality Navajo rugs. I do however prefer shopping thrift items rather than department store. In doing so I come across interesting items. I suppose this rug will serve it’s purpose. Whoever or however it was woven. I wish that I knew more on the subject. That’s for me to educate myself of course and a worthwhile endeavor. I appreciate forums like this when used properly. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes