Very Unusual Hat Bad

I have another unusual item! Hoping to get some help here on value. I think it may be a custom piece, but having never seen one I am baffled. I am calling it a hat band, pretty sure that part is right. I thought it was block turquoise at first and nearly passed on it. Up close I can see it isn’t. Looks to be kingman, and I can see pyrite in it. It is stretchy like a watchband. 43 individual panels. It is Stainless Steel and Stamped Hong Kong. It is also engraved JC © USA and NM. Any thoughts or assistance would be appreciated.

3 Likes

Cool hat band! I’ve been reading conflicting information about dating Hong Kong items. One article was saying late 30’s through early 50’s. Then another article made the point that when the ban against China was lifted manufacturers started moving their manufacturing overseas to save money. Think this was about 1978. Hope a history buff will chip in. Regardless, you have a great hatband. Most of the things that I remember seeing marked Hong Kong were earlier – 1940-50’s.

Can you post a pic of the hallmark for us?

1 Like

It looks awesome. I would wear the heck out of that.

1 Like

Yea Chris, that is a cool looking hat band!!!

Hey Christibo, I was at an antique store in a Texas and saw this stainless watch (made in Hong Kong) that reminded me of your hat band. I took some pics to compare:

The conclusion that I arrived at is that the stainless parts were imported, and perhaps the turquoise was applied here in the states. Because in your hat band and the watch I saw, the turquoise looks unmistakeably American.

Thanks Bree! I thought the same thing. There are just not many like them out there. Makes it hard to find anything out about them.

2 Likes

I am being followed by these darn things! I really wish I knew more about them! One of my recent finds…

Hi Cristibo, Found this maker on ebay…
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Natural-Turquoise-Inlaid-Stainless-Steel-Stretch-Band-Bracelet-/350273819887?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Much like Mojave Blue Turquoise created by the Arizona Kingman Mine in Mojave County, Arizona trademark activated in 1975 expired in 1997.

Thanks! Good to know it is modern and not Native.:grinning:

1 Like