Vintage Child Bracelet

Vintage Sterling Silver and Turquoise child’s bracelet.

Purchased on the Navajo Nation in the 1980’s from a co-worker. She said the bracelet was made by a family friend for her Mom. The craftsman’s name was Nelson Yazzi. No hallmark. Her Mom bought it in the 1970’s. She thought the Turquoise was either Sleeping Beauty or Kingman. Appears to be Sleeping Beauty to me. Maybe block Turquoise?

My daughter wore this for many years. Size is about right for someone 2-5 years old. I have not polished it lately, but it polishes nicely.

Any ideas on current value? I need to list all jewelry pieces of any value for my home owner’s insurance rider.

Thank you!

3 Likes

Nice childs bracelet. I would say that a fair price on places like EBay is between $35-65 for this. In terms of insurance its a replacement value you need so the insurance value should be on the higher end plus a little for inflation and appreciation. So for insurance value its probably about $65. If it were a signed piece then the value could be a little higher but still on the lower end because of size and minimalism style. Im not an expert so I would wait for more opinions before you set that in writing. Nice little piece.
~Koliopee

2 Likes

About an insurance rider for jewelry: Whatever you schedule (i.e., list as insurable, with its valuation), you have to (1) provide proof of that value in terms of a receipt, appraisal, or other documentation, (2) pay something per year to insure it, and (3) be willing to make a claim for it in case of loss. This is why jewelry of “any” value doesn’t make sense: you don’t want to pay insurance cost to protect low-value stuff, or claim for something absolutely minimal. Check with your insurer of course but the idea is, it’s far more sensible is to include on a rider things of some considerable value, not of “any” value. People’s thresholds vary for the price at which it makes sense to spend annually on insurance, of course. Just not everything!

3 Likes

I have had a jewelry, furs and firearms rider for over 25 years. My insurance company lumps these into one category.
Agent told me to update the list annually for my records. This includes a description (with estimated value/source) and photograph(s).
Only had to file a claim once.

2 Likes

Mine was going to be a very expensive proposition. The agent wanted current appraisals for each item, sales receipts, etc. When you have an extensive collection that becomes quite a bit of money. Around here an insurance appraisal is about $125.00 each and there is no one local that I have found that does turquoise. Also, I can’t provide sales receipts for most because most were second hand and quite often purchased at yard sale prices. For example, one piece is a 50 carat indicolite tourmaline that cost me $160 and appraised at $5900. I decided the best answer was a bank box and a fireproof safe-that is bolted through the house beams.

4 Likes

Guess I am lucky. Premium is about $7.00/month. I have a hidden fire safe at home that some pieces are in.
Have replacement value insurance on everything in house.

2 Likes