Vintage Necklace and pendant

Not Turquoise, but appear to be old.
They are listed in a local online estate auction.

Both are stamped 925 and Mexico.
I am wondering if the stamped bell like symbol is attributed to a specific manufacturer.

Would the necklace clasp indicate a specific time frame for when it was made?
I have never seen a clasp like that.

The necklace is Tigers Eye. Pendant appears to be shell.

Pendant listing: Sterling Silver Pendant with Iridescent Stone. 2.7 gm.
Necklace Listing: Sterling Silver Necklace With Yellow/Brown Gems.

Thank you.

1 Like

I can’t speak to the age of the piece, but that is a just box clasp. The hollow ovals gave the maker the perfect opportunity to incorporate the clasp into the design as not to distract from the overall piece.

2 Likes

The “bell” is called an eagle mark. Eagle marks were used in the late 40’s and discontinued ~ 1980. Eagle marks changed over time and help date pieces that have them. The eagles on your pieces are later eagle marks. There are numbers in the center of the mark that help narrow down the manufacturer but some numbers have many manufacturers assigned to them. Eagle three has ~300 manufacturers assigned to it per Hougarts and I’m sure Hougarts doesn’t have them all. If you post a clearer picture I can see if they are in the book. You may be able to figure out the middle initials on the pendant by putting tracing paper on the mark and lightly going over it with the side of a pencil tip ( a rubbing)

2 Likes

Thanks. I only have the posted auction photos.
The shell pendant appears to be a 5. The Tigers Eye necklace looks like a 3.

1 Like

I believe the tigers eye necklace is Fidencio Serrano - Fidencio top of circle and Serrano bottom of circle around 925 I’ve attached a bracelet https://www.ebay.com/itm/224945246523?hash=item345fc8113b:g:HBMAAOSwZith7u1F. The hidden box clasp is not unusual in Mexican jewelry.

2 Likes

Thank you. It does look like others I just found of his.

2 Likes

Everyone is correct on this Taxco. I used to buy and sell it in years gone by. The Mexican Eagle marks were used by so many legitimately and also passed around to many unregistered silversmiths. I have found that the prices these things go for fluctuates wildly. I sold Taxco in my shop for a couple of years and in the end put most of it in the furnace because I could not recoup my cost. The number of pieces out there on the market is baffling! You can find Taxco in any of the regular online auction sites on a regular basis. It might be worth your time to check on Invaluable and see what similar Taxco is going for before you shell out for Ebay. I always find Ebay overpriced. I wouldn’t buy these with the intention of reclaiming the cost or for making a profit. If it sings to you, well that is a different story! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The pieces would be for me to wear.
These are from a local, online only auction. Private auction company, not Ebay. I don;t even have an Ebay acount, lol.

2 Likes

The pendant arrived yesterday.
I was not the high bid for the necklace.

Better photos of the pendant.

In photos the number looks like a 3. In person, it looks like a 5.
Initials might be ICA.

I would appreciate it if you could do a look up for me.

1 Like

Hi, that’s an older Mexican piece when they still used the bell marks. Pretty pendant.

1 Like

Based on the details from the estate auction and Taxco research I did, would date it pre 2000.
I love it.
Photos do not show all the flash in the abalone.
I did not pay very much for it.

1 Like

Pretty pendant! Congrats.

2 Likes