Vintage Old Pawn Watch Cuff Bracelet, Need help identifying. K.M. NAVAJO

Good Afternoon, all!
I acquired a beautiful, vintage watch cuff where I work at, and the individual we got it off of states that this piece is from the artists, Kenneth and Mary. I checked a couple websites to match the stamp, and couldn’t place it to these artists. I need help in fully identifying the artist, possibly the date, AND the type of turquoise that is set in here. So pretty. Weighs in at a whopping 135 grams. Thanks so much. Looking forward to all your help. Pictures below.

3 Likes

That stands for Ken and Mary Bill jewelry makers.

3 Likes

It is interesting. Kenneth Bill is a brother to Emerson Bill and they make a very similar style. I do see the hallmarks in Hougart’s book, but I don’t see this exact one. @Manazanopeek did you see this hallmark in a book?

1 Like

Thank you so much! :smiley:

no I was told years ago that they used to do it that way and then they changed it to her first. You know a woman thing.LOL

1 Like

She has used and uses a number of hallmarks usually with STERLING and often with NAVAJO

Here are some of them:
K & M BILL
Mary and Ken Bill
Mary (often along with KENNETH BILL)
Mary Bil

source at link below:

https://nativeamericanjewelrytips.wordpress.com/category/hallmarks/ken-bill/

Looks like Morenci to me … but Kingman and Sleeping Beauty are also possibilities

Thank you so much for this information. Very helpful :smiley:

Thank you so much for your input! I’ve been very into much into Turquoise lately, and am trying to stuff my head with tons of knowledge, so much so, that I purchased a book on amazon that can hopefully help me with quick references at my place of work. :smiley:

As far as hallmarks are concerned, Hougart’s text on Native American hallmarks is considered to be one of the best on the market right now. I would recommend purchasing it.

2 Likes

I showed this to Emerson Bill and he said this is not his brothers work. He says this is not his style, also thought he started seeing Mary in the early 1980s. Ken taught Mary how to make jewelry, and he hadn’t ever seen this hallmark. That was his information.

1 Like

Thank you. I looked into it, and unfortunately the 4th edition of one book I found is going for $70 on most sites, and his recent edition is unavailable. Also, since this is for my work, I doubt they would expense a book that is that expensive. Thank you for the input. I’ll continue keeping an eye out for good texts for hallmarks.

Thanks so much, Jason! Very good info. Thank you for finding out for me, and going through the trouble. Very much appreciate it. :smiley:

It’s defintiely expensive, but it’s defintiely an investment. I lost my copy during my move and I can’t seem to find it. I don’t want to have to buy another one :weary:

1 Like

4th version is current. bigbree43 , how can you possibly live without it???

1 Like