Vintage pendant by Ann Yellowhorse (Mother of Orville Tsinnie) with blue/green and brown turquoise

This is a recent acquisition and I’d like to know more. The bottom area looks similar to a Cerillos cuff I have. It is slightly more more green and has a lot more matrix. Also the hallmark has me stumped. For some reason it seems familiar, but I can’t think of why and I can’t find it in books or online.
it Is 3 1/4” long and 1 3/4” wide. Any info will be appreciated. I’m hoping to identify the turquoise and the maker and get an approximate value. Thanks

1 Like

I forgot to include the pictures. Jason could you please give me an opinion? I saw a couple of different mines that could be from if the pictures I looked at were labeled correctly. Thanks for your help.

4 Likes

Omg that is a gorgeous piece! Well made and what a beauty piece of turquoise they used, I think Morenci since it has the liquidy looking turquoise color and the amazingly large pyritic inclusions…but I am definitely not a turquoise expert…lol there are sooooo many mines to choose from. I wish I could help with the artist but I have no clue but it looks 70’s era and they used a steel stamp for their initials either TyR or JyR and the look of the piece screams low number production piece work to me, so it’s maybe a Navajo Trading Post with a bunch of Artists working out of the same location in the 1970’s- Early 80’s. Have there been any books made detailing the trading post guild type groups operating in the New Mexico, Arizona, etc… are back then? Some NAMES for these types of pieces could be in one of those…if they exist…if not here’s my next project…lol

1 Like

Thanks for some other possible interpretations of the hallmark. Now I have some other ideas to search.
Pretty positive the turquoise isn’t Morenci since it is nothing like the other pieces that I have. Monitors show color differently but this is much more green looking. I did see an example of Turquoise Mountain that looked similar.
Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Tyh or Huh maybe too…it’s really a special of turquoise…I see what your saying about the greener color…I just have never seen such large pyritic chunks in any other types and this one has bigger chunks of it than most other Morenci pieces have too so keep searching and enjoying and wearing!

2 Likes

Not huh…I meant or Jyh initials
Autocorrect is such a pain…lol

2 Likes

I’m still researching the hallmark. No luck so far. I have also looked at a lot of turquoise pictures. Sure wish I was more familiar with all of the different mines. I was thinking possibly Pilot Mountain but the matrix doesn’t seem right. Any chance it might be Cerrillos? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

1 Like

I believe that I have had a eureka moment! While looking for something else I found the script “ayh” from the back of my pendant. It is listed as the mark of Ann Yellowhorse. I searched her and found an obituary for an Ann Yellowhorse from Shiprock, NM who lived from 8-30-21 until 4-6-16. Her son is Orville Tsinnie. Searched him and he started producing jewelry ca. 1970. The timeline seems to fit so I think i have identified the maker of my pendant. Wonder when she might have made it. Now to identify the turquoise if possible.

1 Like

An image of Pilot Mountain from Durango Silver that looks very similar. This one is Chocolate Bisbee, also from Durango. And finally, another Bisbee that looks more blue now that I copied it here.

1 Like

More recently I have seen some Royston that could also be a possible contender. I need help. Thanks.

1 Like

That is an amazing story. Orville was a great guy and made some incredible pieces of jewelry. Also, he always used great pieces of turquoise, premium stones. I think your piece is just going to be a mystery stone, it could fit a couple different mines. We all know it is turquoise and it looks nice, mystery is not a bad thing.

3 Likes

Thanks. Yes a little mystery is never bad. I liked the part about her birthday. A Virgo born in 1921. Pretty cool.
I was watching a coral suite by Orville on eBay. It ended last night at over 2000 and the reserve wasn’t met. Absolutely gorgeous with exquisite detail and large pretty coral-mostly kidney shaped. Ring and earrings to match.

2 Likes

Jason, could we please jump back to March and this Ann Yellowhorse pendant? Can you give me an indication of value? Thanks so much for your help!

1 Like

It is a cool piece and has the big stone and nice leaves. I would think somewhere around $300, it is not for everyone but those who like this style are going to love the piece.

2 Likes

Thank you for revisiting this one. I know that it gets compliments every time I wear it.

3 Likes

I think I may have finally identified the turquoise! Stumbled across it by chance.