Vintage peyote concho belt

Can anyone help give a range of value? My mother inverted this cinch belt from her father in 1991. He was an Indian trader in pinedale nm and did this all his life until he passed. It’s stamped NIZHONI on the buckle and NA on the 11 conchos.

6 Likes

It’s beautiful! There is an online company called Nizoni Traders, but I don’t know that this is theirs. I’m puzzled by it. Do you know your if your mom was told anything about, like when it was made? I suspect value would vary depending on age (although I know chip inlay isn’t terribly old - invented late 60’s I think) and maker (or unknown). I have a peyote bird cuff that the knowledgeable trader was pretty sure is a Tommy Singer, but not hallmarked, so the price was lower.

Anyone else with thoughts on this?

Wondering if @Jason has any insights regarding this belt.

1 Like

Also, I’m just curious… did your dad run or work at the Pinedale Trading Post? I’ve never been to it, but it’s listed in my Trading Post Guidebook, although my book is a '95 edition so it’s a bit outdated. Back in '21 we took Highway 371 from Thoreau to Crownpoint, then went west on Navajo Service Route 9, and I saw signs for Pinedale.

Also, weird coincidence, I very recently bought a cuff at an Indian Art Market here in IN made by Navajo Robert Johnson, who is originally from Pinedale.

1 Like

Nizhoni Traders, according to their website, has been around since the 70’s. It’s possible they’ve gone through different business models. Maybe there was a time period when they were employing artists directly. I’m sure the OP could email them.

2 Likes