Vintage turquoise and sterling squash blossom with hallmark

This is the second squash blossom necklace that I got from my neighbor. This one she also bought in Taos. She is an artist and had this one hanging from a clay bust that was in the stairwell. It had apparently been there for some time because our humidity had it totally black with even some verdigris trying to start in the cracks. It is 24” long and the Naja is approximately 2 5/8” by 2 1/4”. Weight is 129 grams.
I have managed to clean it some but it’s going to be a rather lengthy process. I did manage to find sterling and what appears to be the letter M on the back of the Naja.
I would appreciate help with confirming the age (70’s ?) and an approximate value for my records. Any guesses on the turquoise are also welcome. Thank you so much for your help.

5 Likes

V-V

3 Likes

Thanks for your hallmark pictures with variations. I’m inclined to think it’s a M without all of the legs

1 Like

@Jason would you please give me your opinion about this one also. Thanks :blush:

I can never get the images you put up to enlarge to get a better look, it seems like those are store purchased leaves, earliest would be the 70s I would think, not sure on the stone.

1 Like

Thanks. I was thinking 70’s

I can put up higher resolution pictures. We have super slow DSL on this island so i reduce the size so the will load. That turquoise does not look like what is in the necklace. I think I’m seeing some pyrite and it is definitely blue.
I will add a couple higher resolution pictures.

1 Like

This is Morenci nuggets

This is Kingman

We think of these two when iron pyrite is present.

1 Like

Thanks it looks much more like Kingman. I didn’t take the pictures in my best lit area. Now I have a new cuff that I was told Morenci and it looks like it except that I never saw such reddish brown matrix.

off topic,sorry
but I don’t want to forget to tell you
red velveteen blouse & skirt ('60s) w/silver went for $730 last night.

1 Like

@Islandmomma Could the M represent Mary Morgan, sister of Harry Morgan, I know she used that hallmark. She was active in the 70’s. In the past I had a great old bracelet with the same hallmart. If I can find a picture, I’ll post it.

1 Like

I’m not sure. I started checking and got interrupted. @Jason could probably answer that since he is familiar with her work. I’ve had a lot going on this week and never got back to it. It would be nice but I think hers is a slightly different font.

Maybe a little more of a Ithaca Peak look. Couldn’t find the exact look but you will get close if you do a google search. That blue color is really great.

1 Like

Thanks @Jason , I hadn’t checked out Ithaca Peak. It crossed my mind but I had to do some other things and never got back to it. I should get out my Ithaca Peak squash and see how they look together. I have been wearing the cuff since I got it. Had to take everything off for now because I’m baking and washing dishes as I go.
Someone mentioned Mary Morgan as the hallmark on the squash blossom. To me it didn’t look like her “M”.
Thanks so much for your help. :blush:

2 Likes