What can y'all tell me about this cuff?

This is a very solid cuff, 92 grams. I love the turquoise and the cuff’s bulk. Guesses on type of turquoise?
Maker? Age of cuff?

I couldn’t find the hallmark in my Hougart book. The code underneath looks like the pricing symbols, but it’s etched into the silver, when I think of the price codes usually being written on.

9 Likes

Nice cuff. Square wire borders, and braided wire accents look like non-native construction. Likewise the “godseye” hallmark looks more like the work of a skilled hippie silversmith, than the work of a particular tribe. The characters are written with a vibratory engraver and look like “AZgem” to me. Maybe a shop hallmark? The bracelet has been worn quite a bit, and the turquoise (possibly natural blue gem?) is oil stained, and fractured from wear. Best guess on age is sometime in the 70s.

BTW, the hallmarked area is an appliqué, soldered on over another hallmark. I’m guessing the silversmith wasn’t satisfied with the way the first stamping turned out, and made one to his or her liking to solder over it. OCD perfectionist, for sure :wink:

5 Likes

That’s beautiful with gorgeous stones! Love the color of them. I believe I have seen price codes etched on, but it kinda looks like azgem to me also…or 9CM??

Say, since you have a Hougart book, would you mind sometime seeing if you can find the name N Preston? Pretty please? :grin: I posted a cuff a few weeks ago that has that hallmark. Mmrogers was able to tell me a lot about the cuff itself, but I cannot find anything much about the artist except rarely an occasional piece online. I would be very grateful!

5 Likes

Well that’s a good logical analysis. Thanks. I especially like the way you saw AZgem where I’ve been seeing an illogical cipher. And the idea of the applique to cover the hallmark makes sense. I wish it would be a native cuff–just can’t get the same feeling for an Anglo work–but I do still like the cuff for what it is. I really do appreciate the experience and knowledge found in this group. Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

4 Likes

Ziacat, Thanks for your comment as well. I was glad to look in my Hougart, but I hate to tell you that I couldn’t find anything under Preston or Nathan, which I thought was the first name. So your cuff is still a mystery!

4 Likes

Thanks so much for checking. I will have to invest in more books since the only one I have with hallmarks is one on Hopi silversmithing. N Preston will remain a mystery for now, and I will keep checking for items by the artist online; I’ve seen a couple over the years.

3 Likes

That is a beautiful cuff, no matter who made it.

7 Likes