Which RLB is it?

I saved this bracelet from going to the scrap pile at a Midwest jeweler. It is hallmarked RLB, however there are two artisis that use this hallmark. Can the keen eyes of this group decipher whether the artist is Robert Leekity or Robert & Bernice Leekya. I appreciate your help in solving the mystery!

3 Likes

It’s not Leekya. The stones are a dead giveaway. Robert Leekya always cut his own stones, carved the stones on the corners of his lapidary wheels, and then used yellow bobbing compound and Zam to soften the ridges, and give the stones a “nuggety” look.

Leekya’s style was wildly popular in the 70’s and to this day is widely copied by Navajo silversmiths. I don’t know who actually made the piece, and it is well done, but it wasn’t Leekya.

1 Like

Thank you so much @mmrogers ! That certainly narrows it down. I appreciate your keen eye!

1 Like

As he got older he would actually use cut stones, we would even give him some. He worked right up to his passing. Those later pieces definitely had a different feel from the older work. These bolos are all done with stones we supplied him.

4 Likes

All of it looks like Leekya’s work. I believe you provided the stone, but do you see what I mean with the characteristic carving? That was done in his studio, in his fashion.

See also how clean the shot on these bolas are. The bracelet - while well made - has areas of thick backing exposed on the set stones, and solder splashed all over the shot. Also solder splashes between the fans and bezel toward the bottom of the bracelet.

I honestly don’t like to nitpick, but in a case like this, one has to point out obvious flaws and differences. Take a look at the setting at the very bottom left on the bracelet. It was soldered on slightly crooked. I don’t ever remember seeing that on Leekya’s work. Respectfully Jason, I do not believe the Bracelet was made by Robert Leekya.

2 Likes

From the indentations on the back between the half round sections, it looks like 22 gauge was used as backplate for this piece. These deformations occurred as the bracelet was being being formed around the mandrel, and would be less pronounced or not present at all with the heavier gauges Leekya typically used. 22 gauge (if that is what it is) would be the absolute minimum one could use for a piece like this and still pull it off. To me that says the silver was either provided by a third party, or the silversmith was using that material to keep costs as low as possible for the look.

2 Likes

I see what you are saying about his signature cuts on the stones, just should have provided another picture. We would see Robert frequently and you could see the change in his jewelry, just gets harder with age. I understand that this is not the Leakya craftsmanship you know, but I have seen this quality from him.

3 Likes

You’re correct about the last group of cluster work. It’s well done (once again nice tight even bezels and bright clean shot between the stones). Some of the twist wire is a little sloppy, but that was never really his gig. No crooked stones or visible solder splashes, but you’re right. This group of items is indistinguishable from well made Navajo jewelry. I’d never know he made it.

1 Like

I learn so much on here! However, I must admit that I have trouble seeing many of the details mentioned. I said on here once before that it’s kind of like my relationship with wine. I appreciate a good wine, but not so much a great wine, because I can’t usually tell the difference. And my pocketbook mostly only can handle the good wine :grin:.

But thank you for sharing your expertise! It’s making me a better collector of what I can afford.

2 Likes

BTW Jason. Thank you for doing so much to keep the family going during Robert’s later years. We both know how tough the market has become, and how tough its been for Native families to preserve an income with so much downward pressure on pricing from Asian copies, and unscrupulous vendors.

Looked at what genuine Leekya jewelry is selling for these days, and was shocked. The prices are literally the same at retail as they were in the 70’s. Unbelievable. I can’t believe anything is still out there floating around at these prices. It’s a damned shame.

ETA: Case in point with regard to copies (although not with Leekya’s initials). This lookalike bracelet copied virtually every element of the work Leekya was most famous for - bezel cut with pinking shears, carved stones, borders cut with curved stamps and triangle files, Leekya’s characteristic fans at the ends): Need help ID this makers mark

1 Like

Case in point #2: My buckle that I just posted in the same linked thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I have no real comment or question regarding this specific bracelet but I did want to thank mmrogers most especially for once again sharing his deep expertise on these matters. Jason, too, helps educate us about the fine points of Native American jewelry and sometimes I feel as though I’m in a college-level class learning about it all. Some time ago I shared some photos of a bracelet I had (since sold) and questions I had about its origins. Mmrogers was a wonderful resource for me at that time and I see he is still so wonderfully sharing his knowledge with others. Many thanks to him and Jason.

7 Likes

Thanks Barb. I’m happy to help where I can. The forum is a terrific resource with an awesome group of dedicated and knowledgeable regulars. Jason has done a tremendous job putting it together, curating it and generously making his time and expertise available to all of us.

5 Likes