Who's the artist...? A strange, old wavy bracelet

Welcome! I don’t see any mark besides the Sterling mark?

2 Likes

Me either. Maybe it’s just a machine work, not a unique piece of jewellery, it’s highly probable, looking at that dimpling pattern on the back…

2 Likes

Bracelets and rings like this were popular in the 70’s and 80’s.
I had a ring like that in the 1970’s.

3 Likes

Whatever the case, I like it. It will look nice stacked. Bracelets shaped like that rest nicely at the bottom of the wrist. And I agree with @fernwood.

3 Likes

Thanx a lot, I’m so happy I found this place. Kind people with huge knowledge and passion. My only concern about this bracelet and similar chip works is - water. Here’s the photo of my thunderbird. The chip part on the tail looks bulging. I take it off while taking a shower, but you know, water is almost everywhere… Is that possible that the resin or whataver it’s used to glue those little pieces of stones, changes it’s properties?

3 Likes

I’m not sure, but I would think water, age, etc could affect it.
Here’s an interesting link on chip inlay that you might be interested in. It may discuss your question; I can’t remember. Talking about chip inlay: If you’re thinking of buying a piece

What a sweet little bird! I’ve got an older cuff with a peyote bird, and I watch it closely to keep it in good shape, but things happen.

4 Likes

Thank you!! Could you please show me your bracelet here? :blue_heart: I’d love to see it!

1 Like

Here you go…

These were posts I had done a while ago on the forum.

6 Likes

Oh! THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL!!! And so perfectly made. A real gem. Take a good care of it!!

2 Likes

Gotta love good chip inlay. :+1:

5 Likes

Thank you. It has a little piece missing, but I knew that when I bought it. I bought it years ago at a shop in Flagstaff that pretty much only had pawn. The owner was very knowledgeable, and made sure he showed me the missing tiny piece up front. So I am careful with it, but I wear it a lot.

Think how nice your dainty cuff would look with one like mine :grin: Now you’ll have to shop for another!

3 Likes

I agree! When I bought it I had no idea what chip inlay was; I was still in my learning stages. I just knew I loved the bird. And the shop owner taught me a lot about it.

4 Likes

sigh…knew I was caught when I saw “strange” in the title. yep,had to go count mine=18.

only one is “zigzag” though & it’s the only one that’s coral-no turq

1 Like

That last post sounds like I think I’m not learning anymore. I should have said I was still in my very early learning stages :laughing:

1 Like

:smile: right? I’d love to have one like yours, but it’s not easy to find such gem in Europe, believe me. Thank you so much, I learned a lot in just a few hours :heart:

1 Like

I’m sure it is harder where you are. Do you mind me asking where in Europe?

You’re right that the hollow, dimpled back is a sign of it being machine cast. This bracelet is made from a machine cast blank that someone would have then added the inlay to. Chip inlay originated in the 70’s, so this is no earlier than then.

5 Likes

I’m from Poland. And if you want to find an interesting piece of REAL Navajo, Zuni or Hopi work, it’s like a needle in a haystack…

4 Likes

I have a friend from Poland! She moved here about 10 yrs ago. We have some other people on here who live in Europe. Good look in your Native American jewelry shopping!

1 Like

BUT…you can find a lot of beautiful Baltic amber and a few of us here are big fans of that! :heart:. I am from Wisconsin. Quite a few Polish settlers here including my mother’s family.

3 Likes