Why is part of this pendant magnetic?

Hi, I’m new to asking questions on the site so bear with me if I do something incorrectly. Just correct me. Thanks. I bought what appears to be a Dry Creek pendant. I love the cab and the simple design but while the edges of the mount and bail aren’t magnetic, the back of the mount is and so is the bezel and the edges of the cab near the bezel. The back of the mount also has what appears to be some tiny bubbling. Does this indicate the mount is silver plated? Is the cab fake or sitting on a backing that has magnetic properties? Any idea if this is worth the $100 I paid for it?? Any other ideas why some parts are magnetic & others aren’t? Thanks!

2 Likes

It is most likely the turquoise backing that is magnetic. Devcon Dark Gray Putty, 1 lb. Can, Work Life: 45 min 10110 | Zoro

2 Likes

Thank you, Jason. Why is metallic adhesive used when it can throw off testing if you’re using a magnet?

1 Like

I agree with Jason. Devcon is steel filled epoxy. The steel filling is magnetic. Cutters like it because it adds more carat weight than a non filled epoxy.

2 Likes

Great info. Thanks. Explains a lot.

2 Likes