William Rogers sterling silver chip inlay belt buckle: WHO IS HE?

A person in a FaceBook group I belong to, posted a different buckle by this same artist so I went online to find out about him and stumbled upon this one for sale on ebay. Does anyone know anything about this artist?

1 Like

Don’t know who William Rogers is, that signature may have been a previous owner. The large chips set in that heavy black resin looks more like Mexican inlay to me, but there’s no proper hallmark. The ducks are beautifully detailed though, it’s almost like cloisonne. Also, i’m pretty sure all of those stones are block.

here’s the link for anyone who wants a closer look. Rare *William Rogers* Sterling Silver Chip Inlay Belt Buckle "Collector's Piece" | eBay

3 Likes

Thank you! The other buckle I mentioned is also signed “William Rogers Sterling silver” with another bit engraved from one person to another dated 9.22.85. I’m asking permission to post a pic of that one here as well.
I was thinking that MAYBE the famed silverware manufacturer, William Rogers made it, as he was a jeweler before he started in the silverware industry. But then I learned that chip inlay was still unknown then. Maybe someone melted down his sterling and put his name on it? Would an artist give credit to where their silver came from? I know they do with stones…

1 Like

information desert out there searching for William Rogers.
post up the picture of the other piece

5 Likes

Thank you! I agree. I looked and looked… couldn’t find anything either. The other piece is not mine. I’ve asked permission to post it because it is in a private collection and NFS. They will likely say yes after work

Here they are

2 Likes

I can see why it is in a private collection.
please thank the owner for giving us a glimpse

1 Like

Beautifully done, yes?
We are trying desperately to find out about this artist but come up with nothing. I was hoping someone here might know something. Maybe he only made 2?

1 Like