Wooden tool box repurposed as a jewelry box

I came across a cool tool box at Harbor Freight that when vamped up a little, will make a great jewelry box - I’ll get a couple of fluffy paint rollers and cover with fabric for bracelet holders and voila’:

8 Likes

That’s a great idea! Am wondering if the small drawers are deep enough to hold a couple cuff bracelets?

1 Like

My wider cuffs are about 2", so the drawer closes just fine with them laying on their sides -
drawer

This is my goal:

8 Likes

This is fabulous! What a great idea!

1 Like

What a great idea!! The bracelet rolls would be easy to make, and looks like you’re not too far off from the goal product.

I’m also using a Harbor Freight solution for my cuffs, they’ve got some good storage ideas! I think this is originally a firearms box. I like the double layer of foam for two “trays” and that it’s portable.

8 Likes

Any time you get a wonderful idea like this again, just share it here. I loe this idea and you know it is built strong if it was made for tools. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Woops, I loe this should be Love. lol

sigh…yet another “yep,you’re different” example.
I’ve been pondering how to display my stuff :wink: I’ve got a couple of sets of whitetail “skullcap” antlers that I’ve been trying to get the crappy varnish off…when that happens,some rings will slide on the tines.
now,the cigar boxes I covered( birch bark & suede) are nice but they could hold anything,right?

1 Like

Yup - I like looking at Pinterest to get ideas (not that I’ve made anything yet). I bought one of the big ornate plastic IKEA frames at a garage sale that I’ll paint and put either a light wooden insert with cup hooks, or glue in chicken wire to hang things off of (wood frames are easy to staple wire in, plastic requires sturdy glue).

Well, you are all more creative than I am. Most of mine is just in a boring gray fire safe lock box. Rest is in a drawer in little cardboard boxes till I get another lock box.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing

@RedlandMaggie you know, it looks like the “cowgirl box” that you’re using as your goal IS the same box as the Harbor Freight box you bought. Same hardware, mirror, etc…compare the photos. Someone just dressed up the inside of the lid with patterned cloth and put in the jewelry rolls!

1 Like

Yup - that’s what I’m going to do too. I think I’ll decoupage mine on the outside and zhuzh the inside too with some fun cowgirl material I have. I decoupage old train cases and suitcases for friends - so this should be pretty easy.
TraincaseAnnette
2017 FFA rodeo cowgirl suitcase 1

5 Likes

Well, those are just too fun! You could definitely find them on the baggage carousel.

These are awesome!

Thanks - they’re fun to make. I’ve been collecting vintage ephemera for ages and figured it would be a fun thing to do with them (I make nice photo copies of the originals) - I’ll decoupage any flat surface. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Wow- what a great box!

1 Like

Added a new item to the jewelry box lineup - an “art supply” box I found on Zulilly. It’s not super high end by any means, but should do the trick when I add some velvet on the bottoms of the divided drawers. Unfortunately the dividers aren’t removeable, but that’s okay…

3 Likes

I have the same one as the last post.
A hint for others.
I have used the round weather stripping as ring holders in boxes like this. I just made velvet sleeves for them.
Used pool noodles to secure bracelets.

The boxes I purchased had removable spacers in them. I removed all, lined the bottom of drawers with velvet or painted them.
I use a coup[le of the boxes for displaying rock slabs for sale at shows. The drawers can be removed and displayed.

2 Likes

Your box got me thinking. Has anyone out there used the anti-tarnish silver cloth/brown cloth to line their boxes? It can be purchased by the yard and cut to size. I thought about trying it. But if anyone has a review on it, I’d be curious to hear if it helps.

1 Like